Current Events: What You May have Missed this Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
Midterms have come and gone, and already our classrooms are deserted. That cute guy has already stopped showing up, and we have subsequently stopped bothering to dress up at all. Procrastination has taken it’s effect and we have definitely started planning our much anticipated Halloween costumes. Most college students reach a certain point each year where attention to detail, hard work and preparation fall by the wayside. Obviously, for Her Campus readers at George Mason this is simply a myth. If, however, you are like every other highly involved, busy Collegiette, this is what you may have missed.

Liar Liar, Pants on Fire
The ‘underpants bomber’ as he was affectionately named, will plead guilty to all charges against him in court. Nigerian born Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 24, flew from Amsterdam to Detriot on Christmas day with a bomb placed in his underwear. The bomb failed to detonate fully, severely burning  Abdulmutallab, who will spend the rest on his life in prison. He will be on trial in a Detroit Court. Abdulmutallab was working for Al-Queda in the Arabian Peninsula, further encouraging United States efforts to fight the influence of terrorism throughout the Middle East.

Irish Elections
The election for Irish Presidency is to take place on October 27th of this year. 7 candidates have been backed by local councils and intend to run next month. The current President of Ireland, Mary McAleese, the first President to be from Northern Ireland will step down after 14 years of leadership. Senator David Norris, Dana Rosemary Scallon, Sean Gallagher (Independent), Mary Davis (Independent), Michael D Higgins (Labour), Gay Mitchell (Fine Gael) and Martin McGuinness (Sinn Fein.)

Thank you, Steve Jobs
There has been many memoirs written on Steve Jobs already, and I cannot even attempt to do him any justice through this single piece of writing. I do want to say, however, that I do believe that this man, single-handedly changed a generation, our generation. It would be repetitive at best to summarize the influence of Apple products in our day to day lives. Those who revolutionize our lives, who make changes for the better, are those we would never expect to make such changes. I leave you now, with the words of the man whose legacy shall live on not only through Apple, but through his character and grace:

“Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them
because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

America’s Favorite Anti-Corporate Movement
….turns corporate. It has been interesting to see the great number of food companies present at the Occupy Wall Street protests, ready to feed protesters, why would they ever leave? Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream has already claimed to support the movement, and the protesters defend these companies, claiming Americans are tired of being fed poison. The group will fight for cultural equality, from food justice to economic justice. Lucky for them, they can be well fed while fighting for justice. A luxury unheard of in historic social battles.

Amanda Knox Returns to Seattle
One of the biggest cases of our time was decided and a previous decision was monumentally reversed. Amanda Knox and ex-boyfriend Rafaello Sollecito were released after spending almost four years in an Italian prison. They were convicted in 2007 of the brutal murder of Knox’s British housemate, Meredith Kercher. Confusion and conflicting stories surrounded the case, as witnesses and suspects changed their stories. Knox and Sollecito maintained their innocence throughout the trial, and the world watched intently as the Italian court weighed Knox’s verbal argument, which she argued in fluent Italian. On October 4th, 2011, Amanda Knox returned to Seattle with her family, where she had to be reminded the speak English over Italian.

Your Clutch Bag of Knowlegde:
Little Red Clutch, The GOP Presidential Candidates.

In a world superpower, the news changes every minute, every second. It is difficult to understand who the front runners are in an election or why certain candidates are projected to be more successful. In your clutch this week, you will find out which Republicans are running in 2012, and why they are important.

Governor Rick Perry
Political Experience: The 47th Governor of Texas, serving his third term.
Fun Facts: Attended Texas A&M University, was a Captain in the Air force.
Political Platform: Governor Rick Perry is a front runner for the Tea Party ticket in 2012, he believes that Social Security in the United States is a failed system.

Jon Hunstman
Political Experience: Former Governor of Utah
Work Experience: Missionary in Taiwan, Former ambassador to China
Religion: Mormon
Fun Facts: Fluent in Mandarin
Politicial Platforms: Supports Civil Unions and the Cap and Trade Energy legislation.

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann
Political Experience: Minnesota Congresswoman
Fun Facts: Tea Party Favorite
Political Platforms: Staunchly against amnesty and immigration into the United States. Strong supporter of the Constitution and a leading advocate of tax reform. Michele believes that the family is the cornerstone of government.

Rick Santorum
Political Experience: Former Pennsylvania Senator, served on the Senate Armed Services Committee, author of Welfare Reform Act.  
Political Platforms: Extremely socially conservative, vehemently against abortion and gay marriage.

Mitt Romney
Political Experience: Former Massachussetts Governor, 2008 Presidential Candidate.
Work Experience: Former CEO of consulting firm Bain & Company, President of organizing committee for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Herman Cain
Work Experience: Former Federal Reserve Banker, Atlanta Radio Host, former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza.
Fun Facts: Cain grew up Atlanta, Georgia

Congressman Ron Paul
Political Experience: Texas Congressman, serves on the Foreign Affairs Committee and the House Financial Services Committee.
Political Platform: Congressman Ron Paul is known in Washington  for his advocacy of “limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies based on commodity-backed currency.”
Fun Facts: Congressman Ron Paul grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and after attending Duke University School of Medicine served as a Flight Surgeon in the US Air Force.

Newt Gingrich
Political Experience: Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, served on the Defense Policy Board under George W. Bush.
Fun Facts: Named ‘TIME’ Man of the Year in 1995. Born in Harrisburg Pennsylvania

Note; The list of candidates above does not include every declared candidate for the republican party, the candidates above include larger profile runners at this point. The candidates listed above do not reflect the beliefs of Her Campus George Mason as a whole, but are listed to serve as information for those interested in learning about the 2012 presidential election.

Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15085199
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41480719/ns/politics-white_house/#.ToN0zmD0vTs
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/who-is-ron-paul/
http://www.macstories.net/roundups/inspirational-steve-jobs-quotes/  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15278483

Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.