Current Events: Weekly Updates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
After last week’s long list of current events, you must be feeling full of knowledge. This summer was full of many compelling yet tragic stories, and now you have an extensive understanding of all of them! You even got a date with that hottie in your class because of your analysis of the Hacking Scandal was so impressive. Last week we learned that The Republic of South Sudan is a new country worth talking about, Steve Jobs stepped down as Apple’s CEO, protests in the Arab world continue to change society in the Middle East as we previously recognized it, and freedom of the press could be at stake in Britain. You are ready to take on the world with this knowledge, but it is a new week, and there is much to learn.

A Dangerous World
Christine Lagarde, the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund has warned that our world is entering into a “dangerous” economic phase. The European banking
system has been gravely effected by this projection. Five major banks: The Federal Reserve, Bank of England, European Central Bank, Bank of Japan and Swiss National Bank have all vowed to help European banks by providing them with US dollars. This assistance will allow the banks to repay debt and fund loans. The Eurozone banking system, and liquidity problems seem more paramount than ever before. Lagarde spoke in Washington D.C. this week, illustrating the fear that holds throughout the financial sector; “Uncertainty hovers over sovereigns across the advanced economies, banks in Europe, and households in the United States. Without collective, bold, action, there is a real risk that the major economies slip back instead of moving forward.”

The Road to Freedom
British Prime Minister David Cameron and French Prime Minister Nikolas Sarkozy were greeted in Benghazi by the courageous fighters of a free Libya. This is the first visit to Libya by any Western leaders since Colonel Muammar Ghaddafi was overthrown last month. David Cameron extended his support for Libya; “Your friends in Britain and France will stand with you as you build your country and build your democracy for the future.”

Scarlett No-Pants-On
The FBI is investigating computer hacking allegations, which resulted in the leaking of actress Scarlett Johansson’s nude pictures. This follows a similar attack on Jessica Alba, and other high profile stars. The investigation is still underway, and the pictures have been taken from the accused websites after Scarlett’s lawyer, Marty Singer threatened severe legal action.

The End of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
This great shift in historic policy changed the lives of many just after midnight of Tuesday the 20th of September after Don’t Ask Don’t Tell officially ended. The policy had been in
effect since 1993, and had resulted in lost jobs for 13,000 members of the military. President Obama has stressed that the lifting of the ban will not inhibit the military’s ability to fight.
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.