To the College Students Who Want to Change Their Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s that time of year again. We’re four weeks into the semester and students are beginning to doubt all of their life choices as assignments pile up around them. To the college students who are seriously considering an academic change, here are some things to keep in mind.

Your interests change as you grow

Thankfully, we have all evolved from our awkward, pubescent personalities and we’ve discovered new passions. I spent nearly eight years determined to become an English teacher, only to discover Psychology before transferring from community college, and I’ve never been happier. The average college student changes their major approximately six times throughout their undergraduate career. Many students also face the pressure from parents and peers to go into STEM courses, only to struggle. Yes, we need more doctors in the world. We also need poets, anthropologists, filmmakers, and writers among others because those are the people that help make our culture what it truly is.

You may take one class and realize it’s not for you

You may be determined to study in a specific field, only to take an introductory course and hate it. That’s completely normal. You may have loved Philosophy class in high school, but taking it at the college level is entirely different. Survey or introductory courses serve as a broad overview and if you’re truly unhappy, and now is the time to make the change before you take more concentrated courses and have your GPA suffer.           

You can find a new hobby by taking a random elective course or joining a club

The best part about college is exploring new things and getting involved in activities outside of your comfort zone. Like most colleges, George Mason requires completion of Mason Core or standard general education credits. You could stumble upon a fun elective class and realize it’s the perfect fit for you. College also offers a vast range of clubs and organizations. Use those to your advantage and dip your toes in to see if you enjoy some activities related to a new field.

Do some research before making the big switch

If you truly want to change your major, look into the job prospects for that field. College is expensive and sometimes you have to be realistic about paying off loans. The Bureau of Labor Statistics  has a guide for nearly every occupation in the US, along with hiring rates and qualifications needed for the job. Make a point to talk with some friends or advisors in your interested field of study and see what they love most about it.

It is a completely normal feeling for students to have doubts about their degree or future career path, but college is the time to experiment and figure it all out.  Just remember the old saying, “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Photo Credit: Pexels

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com