Campus Celebrity: Patricia “Patty” Mathison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

No one is more deserving of being a campus celebrity than Patricia “Patty” Mathison. Her love for others is never-ending. Her personality is radiant and her selfless and comforting sense of character makes you feel at ease and especially valuable.  Patty is a proud AmeriCorps Alumni for the Young Heroes program, Associate Director for Social Action and Integrative Learning and coordinates both the Leadership and Community Engagement Living Learning Community and Cornerstones Living Learning Community. Somehow she manages to maintain strong relationships with her students even with her duties. If you have had the privilege of having Patty Mathison as your professor, count yourself as one of the lucky ones.

1. What’s your Hometown?

Cambridge, Massachusetts

2. What was your college experience like?

I went to Shippensburg University for undergrad and Appalachian State University for my masters. For me, college was really a chance for me to come into my own. I’m a twin and my twin sister went to another university therefore I was able to do something on my own and build my confidence. The friends I made in college are still my closest friends today.  Although I was really involved in campus (RA, dining hall, recruiting team etc.) I didn’t see myself as a leader.  It wasn’t until years later that I realized that those were all leadership positions.

3. What future innovations would you like to see happen here at Mason?

I wish Mason was more accessible to our DREAMers on campus. The mission of the Mason DREAMers is to create a more inclusive environment for undocumented students through education and advocacy.

4. What is a quote you live by?

“I’m not saying I’m gonna change the world but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will.” –Tupac Shakur

5. If you had a movie made about you which actress would play you?

It would have to be a combination between Diane Lane, Queen Latifah and Julia Roberts.

6. Who is your role model at this point in time?

Probably my father: he came from nothing and built himself up to be a world-renowned architecture. Whenever I am stressed out or have a concern and need someone to talk to he’s the first person I go to. He has a great heart.

7. What is your spirit animal?

I believe the gorilla is my spirit animal because I like how they represent loyalty and family.  My biggest dream I have is to sit in a field with gorillas.

8. Who is your Man Crush?

Mark Ruffalo! He lives to his values- he’s very civic minded, genuine and stays true to himself in the midst of all the Hollywood drama.

9. What’s your favorite memory at Mason?

I have quite a few…my favorites are always retreats with students. One of my favorite retreats was with the alternative break leaders when we went to the sweat lodge.  People were so vulnerable and willing to share, it was amazing to be a part of the experience. I get to see these remarkable people share a piece of themselves and through that I get to witness their strength show through. 

If you don’t know Patty yet go out and meet her, she is someone you will never forget!

Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com