Campus Celebrity: Madhu Umashankar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is so talented, I knew I had to find out a little more about her! I interviewed her this week, and her story is amazing- check it out! 

Name: My birth name is Madhu Malavalli Umashankar and my recording artist name is Madhu Valli. 

Year: Freshman 

Major: Communications 

Hometown: I was born in Orissa, India! I grew up in New Jersey, Delaware, Philadelphia, and then moved here to Virginia when I was 5 years old and been growing up here ever since. 

What are some things you like to do outside of school? My passion is singing. I’m always used to being in the studio – working, writing music, creating melodies, working with different studio technicians, producers, artists, and writers. Honestly,  feel like my home is  Studio “D” at Cue Studios. That’s where my greatest hits were recorded, and I absolutely love my studio technician, Chris! I’m also Miss Capitol Region for the Miss Virginia Organization so I am always involved with a lot of charity events, military events, national anthem performances, and celebrity sports game events. It’s awesome!

When did your passion for singing start? Ever since I was 8 years old, I started to work toward my dream of being a world renown performer. I grew up dancing and singing to Shakira’s song “Whenever Wherever” which was and will always be one of my all-time favorite songs!

Who was your original inspiration and why? Now that I take a step back to think about it, I was always inspired by Shakira. I tried to vocalize like her and put on adorable outfits to look like her. I even rememberI started taking belly dancing classes so I could dance like her! Currently, my inspirations are not only Shakira and Beyonce, but  are Paloma Ford and David Correy, who are my two favorite artists right now. I love Paloma’s Cali swag look and her voice texture is beautiful. David Correy has an amazing raw soul voice and is the king of urban rock.  
How did you get discovered as a recording artist? Well, you don’t really get “discovered” as a recording artist. You get discovered as the “next big thing” or as a “superstar”. I say this because no one ever really notices you unless you stand out or can show that your performance ab
ility is spectacular. I made an EP album when I was 13 and decided to pass a couple out at school. One day it fell into the hands of my principal, and he was so amazed that he introduced me to his friend who then heIped me further my career. I then started working with him throughout my last year of high school and he introduced me to a lot of different talented producers, singers, and rappers and some amazing beats. That’s when the rest fell in place.  
What has been the highlight of your singing career so far? The highlight of my singing career was the opportunity I had to open up for Flo Rida this past July at Echostage in DC. It was THE CRAZIEST experience of my life!!! I got to chat with David Correy from X-Factor and I got to meet and talk to Flo himself. Both are very real and amazing humans. 
What is the best piece of advice you have even been given? Someone once told me ”Madhu, if I could sing like you, then I would never talk…I would just sing everything”. So my advice is, always surround yourself with people who want to see you win. 
Any tips for budding singers out there? Never be afraid to step outside the box. Believe it or not, people will appreciate good music. Never let someone else take your dream away from you or discourage you because at the end of the day, the only thing that could ever hold you back from your destiny is YOU. When I was little, girls told me I was too ugly to be a singer. Today, not only am I a singer, but I am also Miss Capitol region 2015 for the Miss Virginia Organization, having won talent at the Miss Virginia Pageant this past June. Fun fact; Shakira’s highschool choir teacher told her she sounded like a goat when she sang, but look at her now. Never give up.

What is your favorite memory at GMU so far? Meeting my roommates and becoming a family with them. Essex Floor 1 is the greatest place  on Earth!

Anya Shelton

George Mason University

I am a freshman student at Mason coming all the way from Destin, FL. I am currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations. 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com