This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Caroline Chisolm is a senior from Providence, Rhode Island, working to make a difference on campus through meaningful conversation about tough discussions.

On-Campus Involvement: I am a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi and have had many roles within the organization including the VP of Communications and Historian, as well as serving on the Philanthropy Committee for the past two years.

I am a member of AGORA, the Conflict Analysis Honors Society, which focuses on having facilitated dialogues on topics related to the CAR field. Last year I was initiated into Phi Beta Kappa as well, the oldest honor society for the liberal arts and sciences in the US.

Study abroad experiences: The summer after sophomore year I went to Italy for a month to study Italian History and Photography in Milan through a program with the Mason Communication’s Department. While there I went to Florence, Rome, and Venice as well. My favorite place was Lake Bracciano, right outside of Rome. I went to explore by myself for the day and ended up getting lost for four hours, but right as I was about to leave I finally found the lake. The crystal clear water was 100% worth the wait. Normally I like exploring with someone else, but I would recommend that anyone take a day or two to explore by themselves because it is really empowering to know that you can make your way around a foreign country all on your own.

Last spring I went to study at Trinity College at the University of Oxford in England. Even though they also speak English, England is a very different place from the US. It was one of the most academically rigorous semesters I have had at Mason and I missed my home a lot, but I would not trade the experience for any other.

What drew you to Alpha Omicron Pi: I had an older AOII in one of my honors classes as a freshman who was such an exceptionally friendly and intelligent person, that I was instantly drawn to her. Throughout my freshman year I had similar experiences with other AOII’s I met, and knew by the time I went through recruitment as a sophomore that I needed to be apart of this sisterhood.

What have you gained from the sisterhood: I could talk for hours about what AOII has given me, but to keep it short: AOII has given me a group of women who will always push me to be my best, but love me at my worst.

What is your major: I am a Conflict Analysis and Resolution major with a concentration in International Conflict and a minor in Global Affairs.

Favorite thing about Mason: I love the diversity at Mason. When I was touring as a senior in high school I felt like anyone could be himself or herself here and as a graduating senior I can say that feeling has been constantly reaffirmed during my time here.

Tell me a little more about Dialogue and Difference Project: The Dialogue and Difference Project aims to promote cultural, political, and social understanding through the process of community dialogue participation. This year our topics of discussion have included race, policing, and sexual assault.

(Caroline with the other two Dialogue interns)

Is sexual assault awareness a cause that’s close to your heart? If so, why: One in five women are victims of sexual assault. I know too many of those unfortunate one in five and I do not want any of my family, friends, classmates or mere acquaintances to ever have to add to those numbers. If I can bring greater awareness to the issue to help stop those numbers from climbing, then I will be as vocal as I can on the issue.

Will there be more events in the future: We have one more event for the semester on November 17th on “Migrants, Refuges, & Internally Displaced Persons.” The event will be from 7:30-9PM in Research Hall, Room 163.

Savannah Behrmann

George Mason University

I am a sophomore at George Mason, studying Communications with a concentration in journalism. My main campus involvements include being a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi International sorority, Mason Ambassadors, and contributing to both Mason Cable News and The Fourth Estate as a reporter. I hold a current internship in the Admissions Office, working specifically for the Washington Scholars Program. After interning for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this past summer, I realized that journalism was absolutely what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm excited for my time at George Mason and to continue adventuring the DC area! You can catch me at Starbucks.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com