This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Brown’s creativity has driven him to become a successful entrepreneur. Inspired by the people he’s met and the classes he’s taken at Mason, Brown decided he wanted to combine his love of vintage with social media, so he and Tobore Edeki started the account Thrift Lorde$. With over 2,000 followers it’s clear he knows how to take a passion and turn it into a successful business. Check out the interview below to learn more about the man behind the movement.

Year: SeniorMajor: CommunicationHometown: Liberia

What’s your favorite thing about Mason? The campus, especially the Art and Design Building which has inspired me since I first arrived here. The people I’ve met have led to memorable experiences. Last semester, I got to do the ice bucket challenge with my professor in front of the class in the Mason fountain.

How do you balance the old with the new? I’m a fan of the past – that’s why I sell vintage clothes – but also a fan of the present, and even the future. That’s reflected in the way I dress, my approach to things, the music I listen to, and the way I treat women. I’m an old fashioned guy, I like opening doors!

Where did the idea of Thrift Lorde$ come from? Instead of continuing to sell stuff on eBay I wanted to have direct contact to customers. After plenty of discussions with my homedawg Tobore Edeki we decided it was time to be more proactive, so we started the page by posting our first shirt under the alias “Thrift Lorde$”. The name was perfect – both appealing and catchy.

What do you want people to know about Thrift Lorde$? It is an up and coming positive movement. The goal is to serve as a creative venue, as well as a unique thrift boutique. My partner and I also consider ourselves and the people we associate ourselves with as culture ambassadors.

Talk about the idea of it being about more than just the clothes: Everyone does only clothes, especially on the web. We figured we should add something else that would appeal to our generation. Why not share current events, why not share art – creativity? In doing that we’ve established a following of artists, aspiring photographers, aspiring filmmakers who all have something in common  Everyone desires to find unique product whether that be in the form of clothing, or music, literature, or other art forms.

One thing people may not know about you: I am a really friendly guy!

You said you consider yourelf an activist, what does that mean for you? I, along with others, desire to provoke discussion. Social change is a part of life more than anything else. I’m a people person; my goal being to inspire or call young people out to be more socially aware.

Something you want to accomplish – not career related: Help people as much as I can, philanthropy!

You can follow Thrift Lorde$ on Instagram at @thriftlordes to check out unique trends for amazing prices that are updated daily!

Cierra Bundy

George Mason University

Cierra is a senior at George Mason University majoring in psychology. Other than working for Her Campus, Cierra is involved in Active Minds and is an enthusiastic sports fan. Although originally from Florida, Cierra has grown up mostly in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley. In her free time, Cierra loves finding new music, reading, writing, and trying new workouts.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com