This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Shannan Moore, a junior community health major, has high aspirations to save the world one day.  The love she has for children and her enthusiasm for volunteering is contagious.  This bubbly personality radiates the room wherever she goes and you will always notice her presence.  Be on the look out for this ambitious gal!    

What made you choose George Mason?

I came to visit George Mason around the time I was accepted and fell in love with the campus.  I can honestly say that Mason is the most attractive campus that I’ve ever visited.

When did you know what profession you wanted to pursue?

I grew up with family members in the medical field.  I’ve been given opportunities to shadow them in action and those experiences were really exciting. It made me realize nursing was for me.

What are some of your interests?

Volunteering is one of my favorite things to do in my spare time.  I enjoy volunteering in nursing homes and interacting with the elderly.  Organizing activities for them is one of my specialties and I love to be the cause of the smiles put on their faces.

What are your career aspirations?

In the future, I see myself working on the floor as a pediatric nurse.  I love children, so any profession that would allow me to nurture and help treat them would be the icing on the cake.  I want to pursue a career in a major city such as New York or Los Angeles.

What is your involvement on campus?

Currently, I am a Program Assistant at The Ridge Student Center, which is a student study lounge on our campus.  We are associated with the Office of Housing and Residence Life and I am a part of the program board that helps plan events on campus throughout the semester.

Who’s your celebrity role model(s) and why?

My celebrity role model would have to be Beyoncé, not only for her music and entertainment, but, for her attitude and classiness in everything she does! Her ambition and drive in her career motivates me to continue in my studies and work my way up to that bachelor’s degree.

After college, where do you want to see yourself?

After college, I see myself traveling around the world, particularly third world countries, helping treat patients who need it the most.  My mother’s home country is the Philippines and that is where I would like to spend most of my time.  I would really enjoy giving back to my mother’s native country.   

What is your ideal Saturday night?

On a Saturday, I usually stay in and have random movie nights with either my friends or my boyfriend.  I’d rather stay in and relax in the comfort of my own bed any day, than go out and party all weekend.

Interesting Facts?

Most people walking by me on campus always give me peculiar looks, wondering what my nationality is.  I have been told I could pass for Hawaiian or Samoan.  I am actually mixed with Filipino and African American.  My mother is Filipino and had never left the Philippines until a few years after marrying my father, who was in the United States Navy.

How has your experience at Mason changed over the years?

These past two years at Mason, I have learned a lot about myself.  I learned to branch out and meet new people by getting involved with on campus student organizations.  I didn’t know any of my interests until I came to college.  Mason has helped me get out of my comfort zone and explore new things.

Is there anything else you would like to accomplish before graduation?

Before I receive my bachelor’s degree, I would like to study abroad in Southeast Asia as an intern.  I want to learn as much as I can about the medical field by applying for internships that allow me to work hands-on.

Christen Roberts

George Mason University

Christen is a communication major, concentrating in public relations and double minoring in events management and journalism at George Mason University. She serves as Co-Vice President of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and as an executive board director of the Patriot Activities Council in the Office of Student Involvement. She is also a member of the GMU PINK street team. When she is not working an event on-campus or at the gym, she likes to shop and catch up on the latest trends in the fashion magazines. She is currently obsessed with organic food and Whole Foods. You can catch her on Twitter @C0SM0_girl.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com