Best Study Spots For Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Finals are right around the corner, and collegiettes are dreading those late-night study sessions. A change in your study habits could benefit your sanity and your GPA. Research shows that changing up your study spot is proven to boost your grades and help you retain more information. Mason offers a variety of environments to suit your studying preferences. Get out of your dorm room and experiment these spaces for yourself. It’s time to buckle down and finish the semester strong! Good luck on finals collegiettes, and may the curve be ever in your favor!

Starbucks

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee attracts all students on campus. Starbucks offers a relaxing environment during the day or nighttime. It is equipped with large comfortable couches and plugs at every table. It also has the perfect amount of background noise. Start off your perfect study session with a venti coffee and a pastry.   

PROS: Great drinks and nice employees.

CONS: Can get very busy and small space.

Exploratory Hall

I stumbled upon Exploratory Hall during my first semester at Mason. I got lost on my way to class, of course, and ended up in the café section. Yes, it has a café! This has to be my favorite spot of all. It’s almost like a hidden gem. The space is rich with science details and is very well furnished. The “Periodic Table” tables are punny too!

PROS: Peet’s Coffee, two levels, and booth-style seats.

CONS: Not too many tables and can get busy.

The Hub – 2nd Level

The Hub is very near and dear to me. I spent most of my first semester studying and eating cheese fries at Original Burger. RIP Original Burger! Although OB is closed now, The Hub has opened new eating spots such as, Hot Spot and Sprouts. The game room, Corner Pocket, is a great place to take a break from studying.

PROS: Outdoors seating, vending machines, and quiet during the day.

CONS: Not too many indoor seating options.

Fenwick Library

If you’re the type of person who needs absolute silence, Fenwick is for you! Fenwick has two levels and private study rooms. Study tables, couches, and study carrel desks are provided for students. Fenwick is also placed in the center of campus, making it accessible from dorms and parking garages. Expect new renovations in the future!

PROS: Very quiet and a lot of seating.

CONS: Outdated look!

Johnson Center – 3rd Level

Located in the center of campus, the JC is the place to study and eat! A lot goes on in the JC, but the 3rd floor is the perfect place to study. There is a variety of seating offered on the 2nd and 3rd floors. This includes large tables for study groups, desk carrels, couches, and study rooms. I find the 3rd floor is quieter, as it is farthest away from the 1st floor, the loudest of all levels!

PROS: Tons of seating options and good amount of background noise.

CONS: Crowded during popular times.

SUB 1

SUB 1 is the best place on campus, mostly because of Chick-Fil-A. The 2nd and 3rd floors are the most convenient places to study at. I’m not sure if students know the 3rd floor exists, but it’s quiet and the seats are super comfortable. The 2nd level is busier and offers couches and tables. The 3rd level is secluded and spacious. Overall, it is a great place to get away from the masses and just cram!

PROS: Quiet, comfortable, and spacious.

CONS: A bit outdated.

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com