5 Things You Only Understand if You’re Jewish During Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Hannah Kanfer

If you’re Jewish, you understand the struggle that happens around the holiday season. Sure it’s called the “holiday season,” but we all know everyone means Christmas. Here are five things that only Jewish people understand:Via Pixabay

1. Being forced to sing the “Dreidel song”

I don’t think anyone feels festive when they hear the “dreidel” song. I remember having to sing this song in elementary song among all the other amazing Christmas carols so that everyone one would feel included, but it just made me realize why during Hanukkah no one goes “caroling”. Honestly, how can a dreidel compare to Santa?Via Pixabay

2. Christmas Chinese food

If you’re Jewish, you understand the yearly trip to that one shady chinese food place near you. Just try and duck as you pick up your eggrolls to avoid eye contact with the people you went to hebrew school with who you haven’t talked to since their Bat Mitzvah.

Via Walmart

3. Ugly Hanukkah sweaters

Somehow out of all of the Christmas traditions, we have adopted the worst one. I’d even be okay with a tacky hallmark movie possibly entitled “The Eight Nights of Love.” I actually shuddered at the thought of that, but why instead of the spirit of Christmas we instead adopted the gaudy, materialistic side?

Via Pixabay

4. People trying to justify your own traditions.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say “Oh Hanukkah is so much better. You get presents for eight nights instead of one,” or “ Christmas Trees aren’t actually rooted in Christianity, so you should put one up,”  I’d have enough money to take an eight day cruise to the Bahamas . I’m not sure why people feel the need to constantly compare Hanukkah to Christmas or try and make it some type of generic brand of Christmas, but we are fine just the way we are.Via Pixabay

5.  Latkes

Need I say more? These potato pancakes are a staple of any Jewish diet during Hanukkah. Sure they’re great after say the third night but by eighth night, I’d kill for anything not fried in oil.  

Hopefully you’re holiday season is filled with lots of joy, no matter what holiday you celebrate!

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com