This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

At George Mason University, when you think of going Greek, most think of Fall recruitment — the stressful, time-consuming weekend that falls within the first couple weeks of the Fall semester. However, Fall recruitment is nothing compared to what happens this go around. Here’s what you should keep in mind if you’re thinking of going through Spring recruitment.

1. Not all of George Mason’s sororities participate in Spring recruitment 

Participation in Spring recruitment is up to each individual sorority, so some do it and some don’t. Be on the lookout as to who is planning on going. You can check their social media accounts, or even reach out to someone from the chapter and talk to the sister in charge of recruitment. 

2. There’s normally just one event per sorority

During the Fall, it’s like a massive speed dating session where the Rho Gammas usher large groups of women around campus to meet with the different sororities. 

In the Spring, it’s up to you to find out the information for the sororities you’re interested in and go to their events. You’ll have coffee dates, crafting session, ice cream parties — pretty much any casual event where you can meet the sisters. No fancy dresses or high heels. 

Related: 4 Reasons You Should Go Through Spring Recruitment

3. Do your research on each sorority

Sororities are some serious commitment, and it’s important that where you’re running home can truly be a home. So, keep this in mind when looking around to all the different options on campus. 

Trang Nguyen, a sister of Gamma Phi Beta, stresses the importance of doing your research on sororities. “It is important because it truly gives you the opportunity to come up with your own opinions and perspective on each sorority. And I know for me, researching sororities and finding out what they really stood for and trying to get the vibe of the sisterhood really helped me when I went through spring recruitment.”

Even though you don’t have to go to every sorority’s event, take the time to look into ALL of them. See what their philanthropy is and what the sisters on our campus are up to. Imagine if you could see yourself calling those women your sisters for life.

4. Don’t be afraid to ask questions

Never be afraid to ask something you don’t know. Think about what is important to you — Are you worried about academics, or feel like you’ll never be able to pay dues? 

Kristin Brierly, a sister of Alpha Xi Delta, shares why she thinks it’s a good idea to ask questions. “Asking questions really allows you to know if the girls you’re talking to are your kind of people. To find the perfect sorority home for you really depends on your conversations with the girls you meet, so the more you ask, the better you can understand if you’d fit in! Being curious about the experience also makes you look excited about recruitment, which is exactly what all sororities are looking for. The Panhellenic community is looking for girls who are ecstatic to join, so asking questions definitely helps you look like a perfect potential member. Everyone is excited to meet each other, and there’s definitely an inviting atmosphere to recruitment so never be afraid to ask questions.” 

It can be so easy to become overwhelmed and feel intimidated. If you get nervous about asking questions, just remember that every single one of these girls were in your shoes. So don’t be afraid to speak up, collegiettes!

5. Be yourself

You’re about to embark on an amazing journey, and this is only the beginning. You should never feel pressured to join one sorority because you know someone in it or your other friend has her heart set on it. 

Emily Smith, a sister of Pi Beta Phi, shares her thoughts on staying true to yourself during the recruitment process. “Being your genuine self allows you to find people who will genuinely love and accept you for you and that’s who you need to surround yourself with!” In general, the right sisterhood will never make you feel like you have to do something you don’t want to. Always keep this in mind. 

So if you’re going through Spring recruitment, don’t be nervous. You’ll know when you’ve found the place that you belong. It’s like talking to someone you’ve known your whole life, but there’s a whole room of them. When you find the place you’re meant to be, you’ll flourish. 

Interested in going out for Spring recruitment? 

Go to the Spring 2017 Informal Recruitment Interest Night! 

Katherine Quigley

George Mason University

A Freshmen here at George Mason University, Katherine is an Individualized Major with a concentration in Speech Language Pathology. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is is apart of Best Buddies and the Leadership and Community Engagment LLC on campus.
Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev