This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When the leaves change color and everyone goes crazy for pumpkin flavored beverages, you know it’s Autumn. While there’s so much to love about the season (see pumpkin flavored beverages), the colder weather that Fall brings is not so loveable. Luckily, chilly weather is a perfect excuse to stay indoors and curl up with a nice bowl of soup! Here’s five mouth-watering soup recipes you need to try next time the weather gets you down.

1. Mulligatawny Soup

This spicy Indian soup is full of flavors that are sure to warm you up on a chilly Fall day. The curry and cayenne pepper gives the soup a little kick while the apple adds interesting flavor not normally found in soup. Mulligatawny has many variations so don’t be afraid to get creative and throw your own vegetables or spices into it!  

2. Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut squash, which is tasty on its own, is approximately one hundred times yummier as a soup. The squash takes time to bake but it’s worth it at the end when you consume this savory creation. If you happen to have leftovers, this soup can be put in the freezer and stored for up to a month. 

3. Tomato-Basil Soup

This creamy soup mingles the wonderful flavors of tomato and basil, practically making your taste buds dance in delight (if, you know, they could do that sort of thing). It pairs perfectly with hot grilled cheese sandwiches for a great lunch or dinner option. Best of all, it’s a breeze to make!

4. New England Clam Chowder

New England Clam Chowder is perfect for seafood lovers and those who like to feel cozy. Seriously, eating a bowl of this while wearing a large sweater will give you one of the coziest feelings in the world. Tip: the recipe calls for the chowder to be made in a Dutch Oven, but a large pot does the trick just fine.

5. French Onion Soup

French Onion Soup combines two perfect foods in one bowl: bread and soup. The soup itself has a rich, warm flavor that will make you want triple helpings. But the true genius of this soup is that the bread goes directly in the soup, effectively eliminating the bread dunking phase of soup consumption. No need to dunk – the bread is already there, waiting for you.

Julianne Woodson

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com