This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

There are a lot of things that we are unaware of when it comes to the makeup that we buy and use every single day, the biggest thing being the animal testing that goes on behind the labels and before the products reach the shelves. Although it may not be deliberate, we could be indirectly supporting the containment and torture of millions of innocent animals each year. Here is a list of five makeup brands that are 100% cruelty-free, so collegiettes everywhere can make positive changes to their makeup collections.

1. E.L.F

General: This brand has been around for years, is affordable, and surprisingly has dependable products for the prices given. This company produces everything from simple eyeliner to tinted moisturizers, and they even have a line of makeup brushes.

Price range: Their prices for single items generally run from $2 to $10.

My favorite products: The Clear Brow & Mascara duo ($2), the Kabuki Face Brush ($6), Sunkissed Glow Bronzer ($2)

Where to find: Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Ulta.

2. Wet n Wild

General: This is another brand that has been around for as long as I can remember. My very first eyeliner pen was actually from this brand and although I didn’t know how to use it in the 7th grade, I remember being impressed with how long it stayed on. It has been a while since those days, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t still use Wet n Wild products. I find this brand to be a great alternative to Maybelline, which, although popular, is still guilty for running tests on animals.

Price range: Their prices generally run anywhere from $.99 to $6.99

Favorites: The single eyeshadows tend to be a favorite of mine, as I love to put some shimmer in the inner corners of my eyes, and these do the trick. They are nicely packaged and very pigmented, which is a plus. ($1)

Where to find: CVS, Target, Walmart, Walgreens- really, you will find this brand in any drugstore.

3. Milani

General: This brand, along with Sonia Kashuk and Physician’s Formula, is one I consider to be on the “higher end” of the drugstore makeup spectrum. Milani’s prices tend to run higher than those of Wet n Wild and e.l.f. However, their products tend to be praised as this brand is trusted for its quality.

Favorites: The first time I heard of Milani was through beauty gurus on YouTube, who were using the Milani bronzers. ($9.99) I decided to give them a try and although a little more pricey, it didn’t disappoint my hopes for a great contour.

Where to find: Target, CVS, Walmart.

4. Sonia Kashuk

General: This is a Target-specific brand that emphasizes cruelty-free production, and also supports a lot of other great causes such as cancer research. You can probably identify this brand best through its vibrant brush kits and colorful eyeshadow palettes.

Price Range: Again, this brand runs on the higher-end of the spectrum, but is still easier on the wallet than brands such as Urban Decay and Too Faced are. Their prices are generally between $6.99 and $20.

Favorites: The Sonia Kashuk brush kits are pretty popular and come in to be about $15. Their eyeshadow quad is another favorite, and it costs around $14.

Where to find: Only at Target stores.

5. Physicians Formula

General: This is another higher-end brand that is best distinguished by its colorful blush kits and most of its facial products.

Price range: Their products are generally in the $7 to $15 range.

Favorites: Of course, as mentioned, the Physicians Formula blushes and bronzers do not disappoint. Neither does their Argan oil infused BB cream, which has some great qualities from SPF to moisturization. ($15)

Where to find: Target, Ulta stores, Walmart

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com