This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The makeup industry is booming more than ever before between the use of social media and YouTube. There’s been an increase in the amount of high-end and drugstore makeup brands all across the market and they are being held to a much higher expectation than they were in the past, whether that be cruelty-free, vegan, pigmentation or inclusivity (Fenty Beauty!!). Cruelty-free makeup is one standard that has become more and more common in most makeup brands. These are my top 5 affordable drugstore brands that are cruelty-free!

1. Wet N Wild

Wet N Wild has signed PETA’s cruelty-free pledge, which is voluntary by the company. Wet N Wild is one of the most affordable makeup brands out there and they have been stepping up their game. They sell a bomb foundation for under $6, super-pigmented eyeshadows and long-lasting lipsticks! Wet N Wild can be found at most drugstores.

2. e.l.f.

The makeup brand e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) is another brand who have voluntarily signed PETA’s cruelty-free pledge. They are known for keeping up with trends and having amazing formulations. This is my favorite highlighter that I love to use on a night out. They can be found at almost any affordable drugstore!

3. Milani

Milani is certified by PETA and the Leaping Bunny! The Leaping Bunny has a bit harder of a test to undergo for certification than PETA does, so you know they are not playing any games. They are known for their amazing blushes, but all of their products have great pigmentation. You can find Milani at Walgreens, CVS, Target and Walmart.

4. Pixi by Petra

Pixi by Petra is one of the pricier drugstore brands, but their products are amazing. They are known for their collaborations with YouTubers such as Aspyn Ovard, Chloe Morello and Dulce Candy. Pixi is sold at Target and Walmart!

5. EcoTools

You can’t forget about what you’re using to apply your makeup! EcoTools is proudly 100% vegan, meaning they are completely cruelty-free. They are a brand that has amazing brushes and tools for putting on makeup. This is my favorite kit I use every day. You can purchase them at almost any drugstore.

You can look great without supporting the animal testing industry! If you are unsure if a brand is cruelty-free, you can check online here. If you’d like to learn more about PETA’s cruelty-free pledge and the Leaping Bunny certification, you can check them out here.

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com