Life > Experiences

Sociology Professor Sparks Outrage for Transphobic Comments

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Geneseo professor David Sorbello is under fire for a “quiz” he administered titled “FEMALE or SHEMALE: Can You Tell?” The quiz consisted of 16 photos depicting either trans-women or “biological women” — students were asked to differentiate between the two. Students were even more alarmed when Sorbello said something to the effect of “this is a lesson to you all not to get too drunk or you might take the wrong one home.”

Those present in Sorbello’s Introduction to Sociology course reported that students expressed discomfort visually and vocally. His comment that this could be considered a “lesson” was particularly troubling to students as it seemingly echoed the same rationale some have used in trans-panic defenses.

Make no mistake, this line of thinking puts lives at risk. Already, in 2017, at least 23 members of the transgender community have lost their lives as either a direct or indirect result of their identity.

Even after students voiced their concerns, the professor continued to insist that it was all a joke. “He said it was partly ‘for humor’ and partly ‘to teach sexual dimorphism’ but did not bring up sexual dimorphism at all. Only said that after when we asked him,” said sophomore Jillian Sternberg about her confrontation with Sorbello.

Unfortunately, no one is laughing. As Geneseo junior Felix Laneri pointed out, inappropriate behavior in classrooms has been a longstanding issue, one which points to serious, systemic problems on campus. Laneri told The Tab, “I think it’s pretty disheartening that we’ve had to wait for a situation of this type of magnitude in order to get our voices heard. Everyone’s response to Sorbello is just an elevated reaction to what trans students deal with on a day to day basis; inappropriate comments from professors, lessons with inaccurate information about trans and queer identities.”

Sternberg also noted that, following the interaction, the professor sent out an email reiterating his zero-tolerance tolerance policy on electronics in class. “Lecture slides will no longer be made available for taking pictures after class. In addition, there will be strict enforcement of my policy on electronic devices from here on out, UNLESS authorized by disabilities services.” Sorbello wrote.

“Another time, in a class, a student said she was a triplet and one of the others was in community college and one wasn’t in school and he said wow so looks like you were the only one not dropped on your head as a baby,” added Sternberg, “this isn’t his first time.”

“We are taking the matter very seriously and are gathering the facts to determine if and what action is warranted,” wrote SUNY Geneseo President Denise Battles in a statement issued on October 20th, 2017. “We work diligently to sustain an inviting and supportive environment for people of all gender identities, gender expressions, sexual orientations, races, religions and other identities,” added Battles, reiterating the university’s commitment to inclusivity and diversity.

Still, many expressed dissatisfaction with Battles’ response, calling it “too vague.” “She needs to be more decisive,” emphasized Geneseo sophomore Victoria Cooke, “Thankfully, the Geneseo community and its allies are taking a stand.”

“This dept. Reiterates its commitment to respect in the classroom. We stand with our students, regardless of their gender identity/expression,” tweeted the Geneseo History department.

At this time, two petitions have gone into circulation — one on Geneseo Speaks and another on Google Docs. Collectively, the two have over 200 signatures. The Geneseo PRIDE Alliance also indicated plans to use this incident in an effort to push for mandatory sensitivity training for all faculty. Other students have noted a desire for a more effective, transparent process for voicing their concerns.

Said Cooke, “The fight is anything but over.”

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

This is the anonymous contributor account.