The Need to Read: Reasons to Crack Open a Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

In college, it is acceptable to be a bit nerdy. Unfortunately, our generation has turned to technology for nearly everything. Books are no longer our go-to choice for research or entertainment, they just sit on shelves collecting dust. Here are a few reasons why you should dust those cobwebs off and start reading again:

Exposure to New Material

Books provide us with an unmeasurable amount of information. We look to technology as our primary guide to seeking information, because it is the quickest form of communication. We as a society no longer need to spend a few hours going to the library to find out the definition of anachronistic (which means chronologically placed).  We demand to have information at our fingertips. This has led us to become inattentive to all of the beauty that surrounds us. Sadly, we allow technology to read, write and research for us. We become more impatient or irritated when an individual does not know the answer to a question right away. Reading for at least an hour a day will expand your knowledge and create a desire to know more.

Brings Adventure

Just like visiting a friend that you have not seen in a while or meeting someone new, reading brings an unexplainable joy to the table. When you were little your teachers or parents read you short novels. While reading them, do you remember laughing at the characters or feeling heartbroken for them? These emotions stick with us as the journey of life continues.   

Boosts Communication

Reading is incredible for expanding your vocabulary. It has become effortless to absorb new words when you read challenging material. This exposure will make you a more skillful writer and a better speaker. When you are an exceptional communicator, you are almost guaranteed to get the job that you have been longing for.

Sparks Creativity

The chances are that you will be a better writer if you enjoy reading. Different authors spark our creativity due to their unique writing styles. We as humans have the power to influence each other with practically everything: art, music, film, dance, sports, words, and pictures. I was inspired to write start writing my first novel because I read non-stop over the summer. Even while walking into a bookstore, (yes, they still have those) the smells of freshly printed pages lured me in.

Stress Relief

There is something tranquil about sitting at your favorite place and getting lost in what the author has to say for a while. Imagine a cold day, the rain is falling steady and there is a fire roaring in front of you in the living room. How serene would it be to grab a hot cup of tea, a blanket, and your favorite book? Reading holds your attention span longer than staring at a screen. After all, you can’t exactly smell a tablet or physically turn each page one by one, now can you?

“I can’t imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once.” –C.S. Lewis

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!