This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I recall this week seeing many posts on Facebook from friends or other pages I follow using the hashtag “Me too”. I was unaware of what this hashtag meant so I decided to do some investigating. I learned that this was a movement encouraging individuals to speak up if they have been sexually harassed or assaulted. Being such a taboo topic in society, it can be surprising or uncomfortable to see how many people have a story to go along with this hashtag. It may make you uncomfortable, and it may prompt an unsettling feeling within your stomach. However, the fact is, while it may make one feel uncomfortable, it is something that needs to be talked about because it happens far too often.

How did this hashtag and movement even start? The “Me Too” movement began 10 years ago by activist Tarana Burke who sought to encourage “empowerment through empathy”.  So why is #Metoo trending now? It fully came to the media’s attention that Hollywood film producer, Harvey Weinstein, has been sexual assaulting and harassing many individuals over the decades. Hollywood star Alyssa Milano tweeted out #Metoo, chronicling her story and a call to action against Weinstein’s inexcusable actions. Stars such as Angelina Jolie, Terry Crews, and Cara Delevingne are just a few stars that shared their stories as well. As many stars began to share, social media users began using the hashtag as well, bringing attention to this problem. This hashtag reminds us that this can happen to anyone. They are

our brothers and sisters, our daughters and sons, our friends, family members, classmates, strangers who pass us on the street. However, these identifiers are not why these individuals need to be supported, simply, it is because they are human, because they are people deserving of love, respect, and compassion.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) , one in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college.

The NSVRC has created a tool that includes 5 critical points to help survivors and those who have questions regarding the Weinstein case:

1. Sexual violence is a widespread problem.

2. Believe survivors when they disclose.

3. The problem is much bigger than one person. This means that is not just about one person, but individuals who believe that this sort of abusive and violating behavior is ok and tolerable.

4. There are common misconceptions and stereotypes about people who sexually abuse. Meaning, abusers often have strong social connections and ties, focus upon individuals who trust and know them well.

5. This is a critical moment.

What do individuals think about this movement? According to Laura Palumbo, an assault counselor, she states that for some, it empowers individuals to claim their story and to gain support from other survivors. However, for others, it sparks panic attacks and guilt by seeing  the stories and experiences on social media. Some state that they do not feel the need to go on social media because this part of their life is private.

I believe that it is an individual choice of whether or not one chooses to share their “Me too” experience. Whether or not someone chooses to do so, these survivors ought to be loved, respected, validated and supported.  Whether you choose to share your story or not via social media, I am proud of you. You are a survivor and a fighter. You are seen, valued, and your story is important. Take time to care for yourself, and don’t be afraid to reach out.

Helpful resources if you or someone you know needs help:

Call 800.656.HOPE (4673)

rainn.org

Image: https://www.google.com/search?q=me+too+movement&safe=active&rlz=1C5CHFA_…

Liz is writer and editor for Her Campus GCU. She is a senior studying Communications and Psychology with hopes to become a counselor. She is passionate about her Catholic faith, social justice issues, and empowering women. She love coffee, the color yellow, yoga, and cats.