This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Last week I ended with flare and wide leg pants, but now that we are officially back into shorts season I want to talk about overalls, and how the trend has taken over spring/summer looks. Overalls have always been a popular kids fashion, so it is funny how the trend has literally developed into clothing that appeals to all age groups. It seems that this trend is only one of two fashion statements, that and tracksuits, that have gone through this unique change. Overalls are now seen in shorts, pants, and, skirt pieces that appear to go along with the vintage look of the season while also carrying characteristics that are youthful. I think that this look took off because of the way that one and two-piece sets are dominating people’s wardrobes. One of the fun ways that the fashion industry plays around with this look is through fits. Overalls, shorts are preferred to be anywhere from oversized, loose, to tight-fitted. Therefore, there are details that designers add to highlight these differences, like a drawstring waist, buttons, and different cut materials. This also plays into the different lengths of the look that make these distinctions stand out. Then there are overalls with pants that are appealing through the different pant leg lengths. Typically, flare, straight leg crop, and loose ankle fits are the popular choices. The skirt look is seen worn with either a tight-fit or oversized look. The only material that I associate with overalls is jean; otherwise, I think it categorizes as other trends like jumpsuits, rompers, or suspenders. Not everyone shares this same opinion though.  It’s funny because you often see some of the more sophisticated celebrities spotted in overalls, and then some of the more creative ones that you could picture wearing this look. I haven’t seen any of the fashion bloggers that I follow try out this look yet, but it does give off a distinct vibe, and I think that’s why you might be surprised to see certain people pulling off this look.

As for details on the overalls, the oversized buckles that hold the straps in place and small buttons add to its appeal. Also, overalls are now seen with fringe, rips, and scrunched details to line up with the accessories that are in right now. For overalls with pants depending on the pant length rolling up the ends of the leg is a style that is continuing to stick, not only with overalls but with most pant looks these days. Additionally, only buckling one side of an overalls piece adds a risky attraction that most people are into. Therefore, this is something to consider when playing around with this look.          What is even more interesting about this trend is that designers are modeling this look for guys also. Personally, I do not think that this is an appealing look for men, but it is definitely interesting to see what the fashion world has to say about it because it is actively advertised. I definitely consider this looks as being one that snuck up on me. This is because even though I did start seeing overalls being promoted within different brands, this was not a direct indicator of it becoming a major fashion trend for all different types of clientele. I continue to associate it with a kids fashion, and I think that is why, but my mindset is beginning to change with all of the new looks that are emerging from its presence.     The comeback that overalls have made within the last few seasons indicates how this fit will continue to be around. Therefore, I knew that I just had to elaborate on this trend as a 2018 LOOK. I’m looking forward to what comes next on our fashion agenda.

Fashion Edition // A

Her Campus Magazine// Fashion Edition Grand Canyon University. 20. Communication Major/Psychology Minor. Future PR manager for the fashion industry in NYC.