This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

In every young girl, there is a dream. A dream of power, of being on top and being the best of the best. Power comes from hard work, but also determination to succeed and conquer. Being on top and running with the big boys is also so important; having a woman being on top means more and more women can get the same opportunities. More opportunities for women can lead to empowered women, empowering other women – so important. Not only do you need knowledge, but you need to have empathy for others. Being able to have empathy can help you become the best in your field. Understanding yourself and how you can create a life, where failure is a part of growth can lead you to become more than one young girl could imagine. Here are a few secrets to help you create yourself into the girl boss of your job and degree. 

1. Plan 

Can I tell you how important time management is? If you have time to go to class, study, work out, work a part time job and still have time to like all your crushes pictures, you are ahead of many already. You may keep a planner or notes all over your computer or both, everyone starts somewhere and if you can succeed at least four out of five listed, you are on your way.

2. Network 

Everyone you meet will one day be a part of something bigger. So be kind and get to know them — the more you know a person, the more likely they will be to help you out. That’s why it is important to constantly be on top of how you are acting and what you are saying in front of people who matter the most. For example: professors, bosses, TAs, managers and many more. Being a hard worker will pay off, being kind to them can land you the job of your dreams.

3. Use the Internet 

Research people and research your dream job. The more you know about the company the more likely you will get hired. If the company is in another state or city, make sure you look at the city and state, as well as apartments and see if you can afford to live on a starting salary. 

4. Remember that nothing is out of reach. 

If someone says “no,” don’t stop. There will be more opportunities down the line, but you should go over your resume and research new methods to help you in your next interview. You can also call the company’s HR to see if there were any notes written in your file; you will learn more about yourself from others then you might think.

5. Negotiate

Know your worth, research salary and living situations. Make sure you know and understand each aspect of your contract. If you learn that someone else is making more, it never hurts to ask for more.  This goes for climbing the ladder as well, the more you know people and the company, the more likely you will reach girl boss level and rule the world.

President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!