Emma Watson: Feminist, Public Servant, Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

When I was six years old, I would put on my Gryffindor robe that was two sizes too big and watch Harry Potter for hours. I watched it because I saw my role model on the screen. Emma Watson is most known for taking on the role of Hermione Granger in all eight Harry Potter films. Hermione Granger is intelligent, bold and humble. She states “in my nervousness for this speech and my moments of doubt, I’ve told myself firmly, ‘If not me, who? If not now, when?’”

She leaves behind books as a trademark for people to grab. By leaving them next to iconic statutes such as Joan of Arc, Gertrude Stein, and Eleanor Roosevelt, she honors these women for their contributions to the world. These were women who were scolded for what they believed in, but they were persistent to continue fighting for what they believed in. She has also placed 100 copies of Mom & Me & Mom throughout a subway station in London. Just like Hermione, she hungers for knowledge. Recently, Emma has obtained a degree in English literature from Brown University, an Ivy league college. Her curiosity never ceases.

Emma has re-defined the meaning being a feminist. She spoke for the HeForShe campaign regarding her views on society’s current feminist culture. Unfortunately, society has deteriorated the true meaning of feminism. “For the record, feminism by definition is: ‘The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes,’” she quotes during the campaign. Watson consistently fights for gender equality. She believes that one gender should not outweigh another, but remain fair in every aspect. It’s not about equal roles, but rather having an even amount of respect towards each other.

In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Emma takes on the role of Sam, an outgoing and loving teenager who is trying to find her place in the world. One of the most noteworthy lines said in the movie was “welcome to the island of misfit toys.” In this coming of age movie, Sam transforms these “misfits” into heroes. This movie inspires teenagers to be unique and always be accepting towards others. Sam does an outstanding job of teaching the main character, Charlie, that he is valued and loved. Emma relates to Sam because she always wants the best for people, no matter what their background is.

Her ambition is contagious and inspires others to challenge themselves academically and socially. Watson constantly finds a way to selflessly help those who are in need. It is no secret that charity work has become a priority in her life. Her humbleness and loyalty are enough to touch millions of hearts across the globe.

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!