A Christian’s Thoughts on the Fifty Shades of Grey Fad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Over the past couple years, the Fifty Shades books and movies have become a big thing for young ladies. The last Fifty Shades movie came out around Valentine’s Day and now the next one came out this past week. So many of my girl friends have gone and seen it, but it’s something I am adamantly against for religious reasons. I am not condemning Christian girls who watch it and enjoy it, but I am saying that I will not watch it. Here is why.

Fifty Shades of Grey sexualizes women and makes us look like we need men and the men are superior to us. So many people want to promote feminism; yet, they go and see this movie and read the books and see other movies like it. However, these are not helping the feminist movement.

Fifty Shades showcases a girl who is dependent on a man who does whatever he wants sexually. Women should not be forced to participate in anything — women should not be sexualized in today’s media and society. These books and movies teeter on the very thin line between love and abuse. It may seem sexy, or in good fun, but what kind of message are we sending the girls of today’s youth? How low will society stand for sex and fun? Young girls may see these sexual portrayals and think that it’s okay to be Anastasia. Women and girls need to know that it is not okay to be treated like that and that abusive kind of sex is not normal. Out society is glorifying borderline abusive relationships and women’s oppression. I will not participate in that.

Christian women are held to an even higher standard. Christians, both men and women, should try their best to keep a pure mind and stay away from things like sexual immorality and porn. Though this is not porn or sexual immortality necessarily, it draws and line and it shows the world that it’s okay to participate in graphic books and films, and it’s okay for the public to view. We live in a society where women are overly sexualized and tired of it. How can we move past the sexualization of women and their bodies if we support films that tell us that it’s okay? Anastasia is not a strong woman.

Love is between a man and woman and sex is between a husband and wife. People in a relationship need to love and respect themselves, not let their significant other abuse them or manipulate them into thinking they’re in love. Your boyfriend or husband should not be treating you like how Christian Grey treats his women. The Fifty Shades of Grey series is deranging the meaning of true love. I am disappointed in society and other women for putting the Fifty Shades of Grey movies and books on such a high pedestal. I will not be watching any the Fifty Shades of Grey movies this Valentine’s Day, or any day in the future. Women deserve better than Christian Grey.

A strong believer in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!