etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Budget Friendly and Local Spring Break Places in AZ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Hey fellow Arizonians! Staying local this year? Feeling the vibe of a broke college student? (I feel) No need to fret! With these ideas below, you can find one which works for you! No need to skip out on the fun this spring break! Everyone deserves a relaxing, fun and memorable spring break especially after the stress and anxiety which comes with midterms and grades. Here are some tried and guaranteed to please, mini-vacay ideas for your ultimate staying-local spring break 2018! Grab your car keys (or get a friend who has a car, offer to pay for gas) and a jamming playlist, the fun is just about to begin!  

1. Gilbert, Arizona

So many fun things to do here! Perfect for day trip with less than an hour from Phoenix! Cool places to go to here:  

-The Soda Shop- Make your own sodas and even floats! Cheap and fun! 

-Golfland Sunsplash- Fun waterpark! Great for these upcoming warmer days! 

-Discover Park- Great park for a walk and a picnic! Pretty water views!

2. Ikea 

Two locations: Tempe and Glendale  Back home, I would consider this a mini-vacation. Great food (one word: meatballs)! Walk around and pretend you are decorating your brand-new apartment. Looking for plants? Ikea has man options from succulents to mini trees. These make great dorm accessories and can create a better air quality for your room.  

3. Fossil Creek, Camp Verde 

Fossil Creek is a popular favorite around here! With beautiful waterfalls and hikes, it makes a perfect vacation spot and even better spring break spot! Go for the day or even the weekend with your friends! Only 6 bucks to get in! Bring your swimsuits for this fun spring break excursion! Swimming holes here have been known to be outstanding.  

4. Castles n Coasters  

Going to Castles n Coasters always is a fun time. Perfect for a day! Grab a couple friends and go on rides including: bumper cars, desert storm (pictured) roller coaster and even golf! Fun for everyone! Only 15 minutes from GCU! 

5. Malls

Arizona has the best malls, (not biased at all, I swear) with Scottsdale Fashion Square and Biltmore Fashion Park located less than 45 minutes from campus, with hundreds of stores between them, you have many options including these favorites:   -Sprinkles Cupcakes- basically a vending machine for cupcakes!  -Creamistry- ice cream made using nitrogen!   -Harkins movie theatre, Johnny Rockets (cheap and good food), Disney Store and more!

6. Hikes 

Another day vacation idea! Get your workout and vacay in one! Go in the morning for a gorgeous sunrise ‘gram or in the evening for a beautiful sunset one! Honorable mentions:  -Camelback mountain   -Whitetank mountain 

7. Vegas  

Only 4 hours away! Go see the fountain show in front of the Bellagio, grab some donuts at the best donut voted donuts in all of Nevada at PinkBox Donuts! Walk down the strip at night, visit the famous Pawn Stars Pawn Shop and see the church where Rachel and Ross got married.  

8. Treehouse Airbnb 

Located in Sedona. Rent a treehouse with some friends! Split the costs! For more info visit the site: http://www.foresthousesresort.com/index.php/rates-information  

9. The Grand Canyon 

Perfect day trip or even weekend trip! Pass is $30 for a week access. Hike and enjoy the amazing sights! Dress warmly! It can become chilly especially once the sun sets. Drive time: less than 4 hours from Phoenix.  

Dasha is a writer, blogger and theater major at Grand Canyon University originally from Seattle, Washington.