Black Panther: Breaking Barriers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

“In times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers,” –Chadwick Boseman, Black Panther

In the words of the latest Marvel superhero, the Black Panther, comes a mantra that adequately embodies the overarching theme of Black Panther (2018).  As of its February 16th release date, the Marvel epic has earned $426M dollars in the worldwide box office. The film has received a 97% on rotten tomatoes, and the media has been abuzz regarding the amazing success of the movie. Having seen Black Panther, it becomes apparent to viewers that there is a subtle yet prevalent moral to the entertaining picture.

In every great superhero film, there is a clear force of evil, and a clear force of goodness to rise against it. However, Black Panther differs in that the antagonist and protagonist seem to want to accomplish the same thing, but in very different ways. T’Challa, the Black Panther, ascends the throne of his home country, Wakanda, in the start of the film. However, in facing his cousin, Erik Killmonger (son of N’Jobu), in a ritual battle for the throne he later loses his position as King and power as the Black Panther. Erik ascends the throne as a ruthless, evil, and drastic ruler.

There is much to be learned from the symbolism represented in the film, but perhaps the most prevalent theme in the story is that vengeance will not lead people to peace. Killmonger mistakenly believes that his coldblooded actions will avenge his father’s death and bring about a solution for the oppression of African descendants. However, his actions are more oriented toward getting even rather than resolving a problem. In contrast, his cousin T’Challa argues to keep things much like the way that they have been, which has kept the Wakandan people safe while neglecting to protect others on the outside.

These two differing points of view can be applied to some of the opposing opinions across the US today. The United States is a deeply divided nation, and while some seek to keep peace, others seek vengeance and reparations for the sins of our fathers. Differences of opinion have become personal, and citizens often go to extremities in order to prove their points.

Likewise, Erik Killmonger blames the previous Wakandan regime for his father’s death and the oppression of many people across the globe. He believes that the lack of attention to these oppressed people in the past is cause for drastic measures (like equipping the oppressed with high-tech weaponry). However, T’Challa knows that Erik’s plan will only bring about destruction.

T’Challa eventually learns that his own father, T’Chaka, was responsible for the death of N’Jobu, and failed to take Erik into his care at the time of N’Jobu’s death. His dismay and frustration with his father’s mistake is symbolic of man’s tendency to fail. T’Chaka was not the perfect person his son believed him to be. T’Chaka made his mistakes, but T’Challa chose between acting from emotion, or forgiving his father of his failures.

Toward the end of the film, T’Challa and Erik have their epic battle scene, however it ends with Erik being impaled by a vibranium sword. T’Challa offers him mercy by giving him the option to be healed, however Erik declines and dies. This can be seen as symbolic of our need to set our differences aside as a country, as they will ultimately be our downfall.

There is much symbolism to be observed in Black Panther. But some of the most prevalent symbols in the film are indicative of the need for US citizens to unite and forgive past mistakes. This film generates the idea that perhaps recovery and unity is not created by pointing the finger or holding a grudge, but it is instead fostered by finding common ground and showing mercy among differing perspectives.

GCU 2019 Entrepreneurial Business Major