photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Winter 2016 Movie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Winter is proving to be a great time this year for movie lovers! Countless highly-anticipated films have November or December release dates. From Harry Potter to a new Disney Princess film to the latest in sci-fi, there’s bound to be something you’ll want to take a trip to the theater to see! Here are our top picks for a night out.

• Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them – November 18th

This Harry Potter prequel has been in the works since the series officially ended with Deathly Hallows Part 2. Set in 1926, it stars Eddie Redmayne and follows the story of Newt Scamander, a collector of magical monsters from around the world, and his misadventures keeping said monsters contained within the magical community.

• Moana – November 23rd 

Moana is the newest Disney Princess film to come out since Frozen in 2013.  It boasts Disney’s first Polynesian princess and tells the story of Princess Moana Waialiki (voiced by Auli’i Cravalho) and the mighty demigod Maui (Dwayne Johnson) as they go on a journey across the sea, battling monsters and more on a myterious quest. Disney hasn’t let too much about this movie slip, but we also know the film’s soundtrack was written by Mark Mancina, Opetaia Foa’i, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.

• Jackie – December 2nd

This biographical drama depicts Jackie Kennedy’s time as First Lady in the White House and her life after the assasination of her husband in 1963. It’s recieved rave reviews so far, many highlighting Natalie Portman’s performance as Jackie, and has won a Hollywood Film Award among several others.

• La La Land -December 9th

Speaking of rave reviews, La La Land is another movie on this list that has recieved unanimous praise from critics. A romance/drama with a few musical numbers, it stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as star-crossed lovers each struggling to balance artistic success with their feelings for one another. This film boasts incredible cinematography and plenty of tap dancing.

• Rogue One – December 16th

The newest Star Wars film is not exactly a prequel or a sequel — it’s marketed as “a Star Wars story”. Whatever it is, we’re excited about it! The story revolves around an unlikely group of rebels (led by actress Felicity Jones) teaming up to steal plans for the Death Star. 

• Passengers – December 21st

Passengers is the newest alone-in-space movie, with a twist: they’re not alone if they have each other. Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt fall in love on a spaceship, having awoken from cryo-sleep earlier than any of the other passengers. But naturally, something is wrong with the ship and only they can save everyone! This sci-fi thriller looks super exciting, and these two actors have some great chemistry as well. 

I hope you enjoyed these movie recommendations! Mark your calendars to go see one soon!

Emma is a freshman Rhetoric major at GCSU. She loves David Bowie, the Muppets, Walt Disney World, and countless 80s cult movies. When she's not doing homework, you can find her journaling, watching Netflix, eating Halloween candy, or getting down in Zumba class at the Wellness Center! You can follow her on Instagram @razzleydazzley.