This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.
There is no question that Audrey Hepburn was and, continues to be, an icon. Her arresting beauty and sparkling personality have captivated audiences for years, both on- and off-screen. And, despite the passage of time, her style continues to be enviable. Her fashion choices were unique in her day and continue to inspire women everywhere. What is it about her style that remains so timeless and on-point? As it turns out, it’s fairly easy to achieve the “Audrey Look”. 

Quality over quantity
In her time, Audrey subscribed to a very European idea: buy fewer clothes, but make each purchase an investment. Shop with the idea that clothing should last for many years. This means that pieces should be both timeless and high quality. This may be difficult in college, but with a little patience and research, you will have built up a small but durable wardrobe. Resist buying cheap pieces that will either end up being donated or ripped within a year. It’s difficult, I know. Who doesn’t like getting cute pieces for little money? I’ve done it many times. However, if you can follow this method, you will have a wardrobe that is lasting and also suited to a future career. 

Dress for yourself
Knowing your own body and what suits it most is important. Audrey wore clothes that accentuated her particular body type. This is key to looking your best. Embrace the beautiful body that nature gave you and dress for it! You know your body type better than anyone else, so wear what feels right to you. 

Try something new
Audrey had many unique style choices in her day. A pixie cut? Check. Wearing pants when it wasn’t a common style for women? Check. Emphasizing her unconventional body type (at least by Hollywood standards of that time)? Check. Don’t be afraid to take risks and try a new style. It might become your signature.

Keep it simple
With her perpetual flats and carefree capris, Audrey was always the picture of elegant simplicity. She had practical clothing that any woman could picture herself wearing – quite a change from other fashion choices in Hollywood during this time period. Even in formalwear, Audrey chose simple, yet chic gowns. A minimalistic approach to clothing emphasizes your natural features.

Inner beauty is most important  
Compassion and love for others are crucial to developing a sense of Audrey’s style. She was a graceful, caring woman who later in life devoted her time to helping children around the world through UNICEF. Devoting your time to others is certainly the most admirable trait that women can learn from Audrey. 

While these tips can teach us how to dress like Audrey Hepburn, it’s important to always dress according to your authentic self. The key is to feel confident and powerful in your body, no matter what you choose to wear. 
I'm a senior mass communication major at Georgia College & State University. I'm a Disney fan, professional coffee drinker, and pop culture enthusiast. I also love a good '90s rom-com. You can usually find me on Instagram (@tcroeck).