What Do We Do Now? Moving Forward after the Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

This past Saturday, thousands of women from all across the country gathered in Washington, D.C. for the Women’s March on Washington. The protest occurred the day after Donald Trump was inaugurated as President of the United States. President Trump has been accused of sexual assault in the past, and a video of him boasting about it surfaced in October 2016. The Trump team has stepped around the allegations and made their way to the White House Friday. The Women’s March wasn’t just in Washington, D.C. Marches were held and major cities all across the country and even the world. Women and men and children all marched together, making a statement about the state of women’s rights under the new administration. However, even though the protest was physically only one day, there are ways to continue the fight post-march in President Trump’s America.

• Online

It can be hard to talk about your views on the internet without getting attacked. Although, there are ways to express your feelings without offending your friends and family who disagree with you. You can be non-confrontational by not making written generalizations about who your counterparts are and what they believe. For example—not all Trump supporters are racist and sexist, not all Clinton supporters are ignorant and ‘snowflakes’, and not all feminists are blood thirsty matriarchs who hate all men. Clarify that you are not trying to start any fights and that you just want to stand up for what you believe in. If you get hateful comments back, ignore them or respond to them with class and maturity. Don’t be rude back!

• Volunteering and Donating

Giving your time and money to organizations you believe in is a great way to help our fellow citizens and the country overall. By supporting non-profits and federally funded programs, we show our leaders what we want and what we need. We show them what we think is necessary. We show them what we think our country needs to thrive. If you don’t have any money to donate, that’s fine. Volunteer work is just as impactful, if not more. When you volunteer you meet the people you are helping face to face and have a more hands on experience. It all depends on your comfort level and what you can see yourself doing. Both ways are very beneficial. 

• Having face-to-face discussions

Aaron Sorkin once wrote, “decisions are made by those who show up.” Change happens when we get together and talk about it. Discussing the current events, with both people who we agree and disagree with, is necessary in moving forward as a nation. Sometimes just listening to each others opinions can be very eye-opening. We will always be divided on certain political issues, but it doesn’t mean can’t stand up for each other.

After the Women’s March, it is still important for us to fight for what we believe. Rather than leaving all your hope at the march, try out these tips in order to feel better tomorrow.