The Truth About What You Will Actually Wear In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Freshmen year is a time of high expectations and reality crushing them. You will not be able to handle that 8 AM like you thought you would, you won’t be asleep by 11 every day of the school year (hello late night studying and Netflix) and no you might not become best friends with your roommate.

The grand expectation that every girl is dressed to impress and her entire outfit is color-coordinated every day in college? Yeah, that’s not reality either. Here is what the average college girl actually wears.

1. T-shirts

Waking up for that 8 am 3 times a week won’t be pleasant and you will not have the mental reasoning to pick out a matching outfit in the morning. Do what every other girl who likes their sleep does and wear a t-shirt. Its super easy to just grab one, throw it on and walk out the door. Just make sure it’s not inside out ok?

2. Athletic Shorts

Remember that horrible 8 am wake up call and the potential sleep deprivation from to much Netflix? This is where the wonderful world of athletic shorts comes into play. It is easy to just slip them on right before you run out the door in the morning. Bonus! If they are solid chances are they match that great handy dandy t-shirt you threw on 3 seconds ago. Plus, you get the added benefit of being able to sleep in them and no one will ever know.

3. Finally…

That’s it. Really, that’s all you will end up wearing on an average day. Once it becomes fall then you will wear jeans and a t-shirt, potentially a flannel thrown on top. Otherwise? That’s it. Nothing else. 

4. The one thing you will not wear and should NOT bring with you to college.

Do not bring all of your dresses and fancy clothes to college. You will only end up wearing that one dress you love and the rest will just take up space in your closet. That means the homecoming dress that you loved and flattered your skin tone? Leave it. Your beautiful prom dress that made all the boys heads turn? Leave it. If you need a dress that you don’t have your mom can always ship it to you. So, enjoy your nice comfy clothes and the sleep you will get in exchange for accepting the reality that no one dresses up in college. 

As a sophomore English major at Georgia College I enjoy books, coffee, theatre, and lipstick, the later maybe a little too much. I am always a sucker for a deal even if my bank account can't handle it. I am apart of swing dance, I am still in search for the perfect partner btw, a proud SuperWhoLock supporter and avid Buzzfeed reader. My car karaoke skills will amaze you as well as my expansive Pinterest account.