Tired of Netflix? Try a Podcast.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.
So you’ve binge-watched all the shows on Netflix. What’s a procrastinating college student to do? How about binge-listening to podcasts? I have recently fallen in love with the podcast format, and it’s not just because of the diverse range of subjects they cover. They’re portable, which means I can listen to them literally anywhere: while driving in the car, working out, or walking to class. Admittedly, it takes a while to get used to a podcast if you’re accustomed to watching a TV screen. But never fear! Listen to a few episodes of the four shows below, and you’ll be hooked, guaranteed. There are even links to each of the four podcasts to get you started. Happy listening! 

1. “You Must Remember This”

As a fan of Old Hollywood films, lore, and culture, this podcast is one of my all time favorites. Created and narrated by Karina Longworth, “You Must Remember This” explores the little-known mysteries and stories from the early days of Hollywood. This podcast is unique because it doesn’t just rehash history; Longworth seeks to find hidden aspects of previously told urban legends or actors. Some of the seasons even revolve around a theme. This podcast is really great for fans of Old Hollywood or the entertainment industry.

2. “Serial”

This is a great podcast for those of you who couldn’t get enough of “Making a Murderer”. Currently in its second season, “Serial” is hosted by Sarah Koenig, who tells a nonfiction story over the course of several episodes using investigative journalism. The first season received a lot of coverage for its investigation of the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee. The story was very reminiscent of “Cold Case,” and it has recently resurfaced in the media. The current season is focusing on the story of Bowe Bergdahl. 

3. “Mystery Show”

In this podcast, host Starlee Kine solves a mystery in each episode. These are minor, yet puzzling mysteries, including why Britney Spears is reading a particular book and how a video store could close in one day. During each episode, Kine meets a variety of people connected to the case and gets to know them on a more personal basis.

4. “Stuff You Missed in History Class”

True to its name, this podcast explores historical stories that were definitely not brought up in your school. This makes the surprise of learning about them even more satisfying. Check this one out if you’d like to know more about harmonicas, Crayola, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and much more.

I'm a senior mass communication major at Georgia College & State University. I'm a Disney fan, professional coffee drinker, and pop culture enthusiast. I also love a good '90s rom-com. You can usually find me on Instagram (@tcroeck).