Thoughts You Have When You Decide To Go To Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

As a soon-to-be college graduate, I can honestly say the struggle is real. Life became even more intense when I decided I wanted to further my eduation by attending grad school. I think I speak for the majority when I point out some thoughts college students have when they decide to go to grad school:

1. Why am I doing this?–You just completed one degree why on earth would you want to go back for another. One is enough.

2. No, you need more. You like learning, you want to be a/an (insert profession here), so you have to go back!

3. You’re not the weird one. Well, maybe you’re crazy because all of your friends will be living happy lives while you’re still stuck in a library somewhere.

4. The GRE costs HOW MUCH?

5. What if I have to take it more than once? This may not be good.

6. My top college requires that GRE Score for admission. I need to say a prayer.

7. How hard could it actually be to get into grad school? People do it all the time so surely I can get in. Somewhere.

8. Maybe my GPA and Statement of Purpose will just blow the committee away.

9. Who should I choose to ask to write recommendation letters? Definitely not that one professor.

10. I really must apply for a Graduate Assistantship. This could be perfection.

11. Wow, those are competitive, but I’m smart. I totally got this.

12. Maybe I am crazy for wanting to go to grad school, but this is the only way to achieve my dreams so here it goes!