Seven Signs That Show You’re Officially a GCSU Bobcat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

So you have started your college career at Georgia College and State University. You have your Bobcat Card, your blue GCSU t-shirt, and a meal plan—but what solidifies the fact that you are now a proud Bobcat? Here are a few signs that you have successfully reached “Bobcat Status”

1. You are familiar with the word “mocal”. This word creeps into conversation and most of the GC community knows what it means—Milledgeville local. Is this a bad thing, no not necessarily, but as college students we do see ourselves as our own clique, a part from other members of the Milledgeville community.

2. You have completed the obligatory tour of the Old Governor’s Mansion. Almost everyone does this at some point during their freshman year and, hey, a little history lesson is good for you! You do attend college in the city that used to be Georgia’s capital!

3. You have been less than graceful when going up or down the stairs at Chops. Really, who puts that many stairs in a restaurant? It is very easy to trip going up or down those stairs and if you haven’t yet, just wait!

4. You know that the wi-fi is less than stellar. Whether its GCSUWIRELESS or GCWIRELESS they both are not all that fantastic. And to think when you toured the campus the ambassadors told you that Georgia College had the best wi-fi in Milledgeville.

5. You own at least six pair of athletic shorts and countless oversized t-shirts. What else are you supposed to wear to class? Dressing up is so overrated these days.

6. You have been a part of the stampede that is “free giveaways” on campus. From t-shirts to koozies or discount cards to bottle openers it does not matter what the free item is as long as its free and as long as you get one. What better way to attract college students than offer something for free?

7. You either cringe or get excited when someone mentions Capital City. This one you’re on your own for.

If you’re a new freshman here at Georgia College, then welcome home! If you’ve been with us for a few years, then it’s great to see you again! We are all proud Bobcats here at Georgia College! If you haven’t checked all of these signs off yet, don’t worry you will before graduating. Now, who’s ready for a great semester?