Proud Bobcat: Laura Ahrens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Laura Ahrens!

The sophomore political science major has always had a passion for getting involved. Since the moment she came to Georgia College, Laura has left her mark on the campus in many ways.

In just her second year, Laura has become the face of Georgia College’s opportunities for involvement, by doing just that. Getting involved.

“I knew from the moment that I chose to attend GC that, due to the size and accessibility of the campus and faculty, I would have so many opportunities to get involved,” said Laura.

There’s no challenge that this young bobcat won’t accept.

The honors student has been a part of Student Government Association (SGA), the Pre-Law Society, earned leadership positions in her sorority, become a student ambassador, been named one of Omicron Delta Kappa’s Emerging Leaders of the Year and the list goes on.

Last year, Laura was elected as one of SGA’s freshman senators. Through this position, she was able to represent our student body and communicate with students to improve their experience on campus. Laura has continued her involvement with SGA this year by being elected Secretary.

“SGA has helped me have the chance to meet countless students, organizations and administrators and actually make a difference on our campus,” said Laura.

She has also held many leadership positions with her sorority, Kappa Delta. During her freshman year, Laura was the chapter’s Academic Excellence Chair.

This year, Laura was a set leader where she was able to lead and educate new members during their new member period. The young leader also earned a role on her sorority’s council.

“I was recently elected the VP-Operations of KD. I will continue to work on the chapter’s position academically and maintain the chapter’s image as a whole on campus,” said Laura.

Laura is a hard-working student that all of us can look up to. Through all of her involvement, Laura has made a great impact on our campus and has become a role model for GC students.

“Since being involved in all of these organizations, I have learned how to manage my time extremely well,” said Laura. “I also remind myself that I need to continue to do things that my future self will thank me for, and sometimes that does require making sacrifices.”

The political science major plans to attend law school and hopes to practice at her own law firm after graduation.

“I could also see myself holding a position as a representative in state government or even federal,” said Laura. “I would LOVE to work in Washington, DC but we’ll see.”

The long list of leadership positions, involvement and overall hard work is what makes Laura Ahrens a Campus Celebrity. She has made a difference on our campus by representing Georgia College and caring for the campus and its students.

“I think that others should get involved in any way that they can because I honestly believe that the more you get involved, the more you can do,” said Laura. “It’s so easy to get involved on the GC campus that there’s no reason not to! Since we’re only in college for a few years, we need to make the most of this experience as we can.”

Welcome! I'm a sophomore Public Relations major at Georgia College. I am also a member of the Eta Mu chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority. From pinterest to shopping, I love all things makeup and fashion and hope to work with them in the future.