Milly Water Issue 2K17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

On Monday, January 9th, a water main broke on Green Street in front of Wells Hall. This water main break resulted in the water being turned off for Central Campus, which is where the majority of the residence halls are located.

To my knowledge this is the third time that the water main has broken. The first being in the Spring of 2016, which then it lasted for four days. The second time was during the Summer of 2016, which didn’t last that long. Now, the water main break only affected the students for a little over two days. It wasn’t the best greeting into the new semester which multiple students expressed.  

The main problem that kept coming up, was ‘When can I take a shower.” Main Campus and West Campuses water was fine, so residents were encouraged that if they knew anyone that lived in that area, to go and shower there. Luckily, Georgia College was able to provide shuttle that were strictly going to West Campus Wellness Center, so that resident could take showers on January 10th. They also provided portable toilets outside the residence halls for students to use. The Max handed out water bottles to students who needed it and the residence halls affected were given cases of water.

Later during the day of January 10th the water was restored, but was still under a 24-hour boil water advisory.

Although the water was restored, there is still a potential of that the water main could break again. In light of this event, Her Campus wanted to know the perspective of some students who were affected by this issue.

Adams Hall residents Jordan Burkitt and Jessi Johnson were asked, “What is something that they learned from the water crisis and How did they feel while the water crisis was happening?” In response to this question, Jordan Burkitt said, “I felt stressed because I really needed a shower and I didn’t know when I could take one next, and that is super gross. So I guess I learned the true power of dry shampoo”.Jessi Johnson had this to say about the water crisis: “I really noticed how much I rely on things that I hardly ever think about and how there are people who deal with something like that on a day to day basis. I felt okay, because I knew there were other options for me to take a shower and have clean water”.

Hopefully this will be the last time the water main breaks, but given the history, it probably won’t.

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.