Mallory Haynes: The New Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Mallory Haynes has served in many positions on the Her Campus GCSU staff including writer, senior editor, and now as a campus correspondent. When we aren’t chatting about the next HC GCSU event, Mallory and I love to get coffee and laugh about our animals or discuss great music. As an upcoming campus correspondent (and the heir to my HC GCSU throne), I decided to ask Mallory about her new experiences as a new campus correspondent and what she loves about HC GCSU!

Her Campus: Tell me about yourself.

Mallory Haynes: Well, I am a Junior Mass Communications major with a focus in journalism and a member of the lovely Phi Gamma chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi. I also serve as Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus GCSU and Editorial on PRSSA’s SpectrumPR team for The Green Market. I enjoy coffee (a little too much), The Office, concerts, and my pup, Kora. In addition, I am a vegan with a strong compassion for animals and the earth.

HC: What made you want to get involved with Her Campus GCSU?

MH: Writing has always been a passion of mine, and while I enjoyed writing hard news stories in journalism classes, I wanted a more creative outlet. I had always read Her Campus articles from other universities and loved them, so once I discovered that GCSU had a chapter, I knew I wanted to get involved.

HC: What is it like being a new Campus Correspondent?

MH: It’s a little overwhelming, yet exciting! Shelby has been so helpful in teaching me all that I need to know to make Her Campus GCSU run smoothly. It’s fun getting to know what goes on behind the scenes – it’s more involved than just posting articles. Getting free stuff is always a plus, too :-)

HC: What is your favorite part about being a Her Campus GCSU member?

MH: Other than writing content that interests me and topics that I love, I would have to say getting to know so many other amazing women. Through Her Campus GCSU, I have met so many kind, hilarious and inspiring women who I probably would not have met if we had not all been members of this organization.

HC: Do you have any advice for underclassmen who want to become a Her Campus GCSU Campus Correspondent?

MH: If your goal is to become a Campus Correspondent, the most important thing is to be passionate about Her Campus GCSU. We may be a small chapter and we may not be as popular as other student media, but we work very hard each week to put out great content for our readers. Another important thing is staying organized and keeping track of deadlines – there are content deadlines and multiple forms you will have to fill out as a CC!

HC: What goals do you have for the future of Her Campus GCSU?

MH: My main goal for Her Campus GCSU is to increase awareness. People are so shocked when I tell them that Georgia College has a Her Campus chapter – so many people are oblivious to it. In my dreams, we will become as well-known as the Colonnade. I also want to recruit, as many of our current members are seniors and will be leaving us in a few short months. I would love to have more underclassmen join so that they can be involved in Her Campus throughout their entire college career, and grow and expand our organization after the rest of us have moved on.

HC: Why should GC students get involved with Her Campus GCSU?

MH: If you have even the slightest interest in writing, you should get involved with Her Campus. No matter your career path or major, writing articles for HC provide great experience and be great resume and portfolio builders. Joining Her Campus GCSU will also allow you to meet a group of wonderful women and become friends with girls who share a passion for writing.

Shelby Smith is an English major with a concentration in creative writing at Georgia College & State University. She hopes to write the next great American novel one day while becoming a #girlboss. Shelby loves Pinterest, hedgehogs, organizational supplies, and has a mild obsession with makeup. You can follow her on Instagram @shelbysmilege.