Madeline Olliff: GC Shelter Buddies President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Meet Madeline Olliff, a Junior who started one of the most popular service organizations on Georgia College’s campus.

Basics:

Name: Madeline Olliff          

Hometown: Woodstock, GA

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Major: Biology Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Spanish Minor

Clubs/ organizations: GC Shelter Buddies, Zeta Tau Alpha, Tri Beta

Questions:

Her Campus: Why did you choose Georgia College?

Madeline Olliff: My family has a lake house on Sinclair and we decided we might as well take a tour of GC when we’re down one weekend since it’s so close. I fell in love with the campus. It was actually the only school I toured.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Georgia College? 

MO: The spirit of the student body of charity and wanting to help the community. There is such an overwhelming amount of students who give back to the community; it’s really inspiring to me. Before I started GC Shelter Buddies I went around to several sororities and fraternities on campus to speak about the shelter. I mainly wanted to raise more awareness for the shelter, and I also passed around a collection jar for change. I was able to raise around $380 by just passing around a coin jar because the students here are so compassionate.  Even this year I think I’ve sent around 300 emails this week to students interested in joining GC Shelter Buddies. I definitely think the Give Center is the center of this great energy to help around campus. It’s so surprising to me that other campuses; especially campuses bigger than ours don’t have a service like this.

HC: What made you start GC Shelter Buddies?

MO: I volunteered at the shelter through a service event with my sorority and when I went I was so surprised to see no one was really helping the shelter. I started volunteering on my own after that first time and then my friends Sarah and Morgan started coming with me. Eventually more and more of my friends started hearing about what I was doing and wanting to get involved so I thought why not start a club? With the help of the Give Center and the support of SGA, I was able to make that happen at the end of the last fall semester. I’m so proud of the work that we have been able to accomplish in just one semester on campus. We were able to raise over $2700 and complete over 460 service hours. I‘m so excited for this school year has to offer.

HC: What does GC Shelter Buddies do?

MO: We are a service organization that helps to bring in student volunteers and also create fundraising events for the shelter to raise money and supplies. Our first big fundraising goal was to raise money for the shelter to have a playpen. We were able to raise all the money during Christmas break of last year thanks to the success of our gofundme campaign. We also help to set up volunteer days for other organizations that want to give back. We love to collaborate with other organizations on campus for fundraisers. This year we are partnering with KA and Delta Sig for the CountyLine Concert, so a portion of the proceeds from the concert this year will go towards the animal shelter.

HC: How can a student get involved with GC Shelter Buddies?

MO: We have a Facebook page “GC Shelter Buddies” for the general public where we post about events we have and post pictures from past events. There is also a Facebook group for the member under the name “GC Shelter Buddies Members” where I communicate with members of the club. They can always email me at madeline.olliff@bobcats.gcsu.edu and I can point them in the right direction to get started!

HC: What do you hope to do after graduation?

MO: I hope to go straight into vet school at UGA, get my license in four years, and hopefully join a practice and start helping more animals. 

HC: What advice do you have for freshman students?

MO: Get Involved! There are some many opportunities on-campus to get involved in some great organizations. Also, the Give Center is a great resource to use if you want to specifically get involved with community service. One of my favorite quotes is from Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not” I really encourage people to find their passion, whether it’s volunteering for a specific cause or helping in general. Helping is still helping, and it’s making the world a better place. You also get to make great friends who have the passions you do.

Fun Facts:

Favorite Dog: Pitbull

Favorite Musician: John Denver

Favorite Day of the Week: Thursday

Favorite Memory at GC: When GC Shelter Buddies was officially recognized as an RSO

What Animal You Would Be: A lioness

Life Goal: To open non-profit charity that provides vet care to underfunded animal shelters in GA

Shelby Smith is an English major with a concentration in creative writing at Georgia College & State University. She hopes to write the next great American novel one day while becoming a #girlboss. Shelby loves Pinterest, hedgehogs, organizational supplies, and has a mild obsession with makeup. You can follow her on Instagram @shelbysmilege.