LGBT Movies You Need to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s a list of some truly amazing LGBT films. As a genre, it holds numerous hidden gems of the film world, probably because the people who write and make these films bravely and boldly express themselves in a world that holds a great deal of criticism. These films aren’t holding back and thank goodness for that because it’s part of what makes them all so beautifully entertaining.

Kinky Boots

The IMDb: A drag queen comes to the rescue of a man who, after inheriting his father’s shoe factory, needs to diversify his product if he wants to keep the business afloat. (So he starts making high heel boots for drag queens.)

The scoop: This movie, not to be cliché, but it’s quite fabulous! No really! You get to see Chiwetel Ejiofor (The Martian, 12 Years a Slave, Love Actually) strut and put on a show as a drag queen named Lola, and then you discover what it took for her to get to where she is. There is so much strength and beauty in Lola’s character that it becomes difficult for the conservative folks of the small British shoe factory to resist her charms. If you’re not hooked yet, then might I mention that there are some INCREDIBLE shoes in this movie?

Oh, and P.S. Kinky Boots has been made into a fantastic Broadway musical and Cindy Lauper wrote all the music. Just when you think things can’t get any better!

Boys (Jongens)

The IMDb: A sexually awakening gay teen athlete finds himself in a budding relationship with his mutually attracted relay race teammate.

The scoop: Since this film was made in the Netherlands you might just have to read subtitles, but IT WILL BE WORTH IT when you follow this sweet romance to the end. To this day it is one of my all-time favorite movies. It’s very hard to believe that Boys began as a made-for-TV movie on a Dutch teen channel. People loved it so much it then went to theatres and was finally distributed in America. Every image in this movie is stunning and when paired with the music it definitely gives you the feels.

The Birdcage

The IMDb: A gay cabaret owner and his drag queen companion agree to put up a false straight front so that their son can introduce them to his fiancée’s right-wing moralistic parents.

The scoop: This film is a classic piece of comedic gold starring Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. Even your very conservative great Aunt Annette will love this one because it’s impossible not to. One of the highlights of this film is Hank Azaria playing Agador Spartacus, a Guatemalan housekeeper who just wants to be part of the cabaret show! He can’t walk in shoes and he likes to wear as little clothing as possible. Now you’re hooked, right?

Pride

The IMDb: U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.

The scoop: Like Kinky Boots, this too is a British film where two differing cultures and mindsets come together and realize that they quite like each other. The cast is riddled with many of the British folk we adore: Imelda Stauntun (Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix), Joe Gilgun (Misfits), Bill Nighy (About Time), Andrew Scott (Sherlock), and Russell Tovey (Being Human). Plus, it’s based on a true story!

Watch this video and see if you can resist watching the whole film:

The Way He Looks

IMDb: Leonardo is a blind teenager searching for independence. His everyday life, the relationship with his best friend, Giovana, and the way he sees the world change completely with the arrival of Gabriel.

The Scoop: This one might be a bit slow-going, but by the time you’ve clicked play, there’s no stopping because you get attached to the friendliness of this film. I just love a happy ending, but half the fun is getting there! Plus there is some great music (aka Belle and Sebastion)!

Life Partners

IMDb: Sasha and Paige’s co-dependent friendship is tested as Paige gets serious with a guy for the first time.

The scoop: Life Partners is an awesome friendship movie and Leighton Meester plays a role that is about as far you can get from the Blair Waldorf we all know and love to hate. Her character Sasha really wants a relationship, but keeps dating women that are incompatible and a bit insane, but this isn’t a movie about finding love. This is about two people trying to keep hold of a beautiful friendship while maintaining their own love lives.

Angels of Sex

The IMDb: The established relationship between university student Bruno and aspiring photographer Carla is thrown into turmoil when Bruno feels drawn to sexy karate instructor/break dancer Rai. Complications ensue.

The scoop: Such a great film! I want to rewatch it right now. Nothing quite exists like Angels of Sex  and this movie flourishes as a dramatic romance of epic proportions. I say epic proportions because these characters venture into unexplored territory bravely and beautifully.

Honorable Mentions:

Blue is the Warmest Color

G.B.F

52 Tuesdays

Carol

Weekend

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar

Victor/ Victoria

The Sum of Us

Guys and Balls

Velvet Goldmine 

Laura Grace Sears is a sophomore aspiring to write for television, a dream inspired by the massive amounts of tv she watches. She enjoys people, pop culture, clothes and many other great things that would be of no use in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Nevertheless she continues to wallow in the creative parts of life. You can find her music page at facebook.com/MusicLauraGrace and follow her on pinterest at pinterest.com/lauragracesears.