Kaitlyn Black: A Compassionate and Caring Cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Major:

Early childhood education

Year: 

Junior

Hometown:

Douglasville, GA

What clubs/organizations are you in and what are your leadership positions in them?

Sigma Alpha Omega- Vice President, Campus Outreach, Honors Program

Why do you want to be a teacher?

I have a passion for learning, children, and being a mentor.  I think teaching is the best way for me to make my passions come alive.  Teaching is also a great way to learn and practice important qualities like being selfless, patient, and loving.  I want to inspire my students to set goals, work hard, and succeed.  I want to show students how much fun learning can be and help them find what makes them passionate.

What inspires you most?

I am inspired and encouraged by people who live out their lives by faith.  I am inspired by joyful people because they positively impact others around them.

What would you say is your fashions sense/style?

I think it’s important to dress for comfort!  I love jeans, scarves, and cardigans.

What advice would you give to anyone on how to enjoy their college experience?

While the school aspect of college is very important, I would encourage everyone to take the time to get involved and invest in the communities at college.  College is an important stage of life where you’re figuring out who you are and who you want to become.  We are surrounded by such a strong community, which is something you won’t always have.  My best advice would be to take advantage of the time you have to invest in people.  Build strong friendships because you can learn and grow so much from others.

Do you have any hobbies?

I enjoy running, reading, drawing, and playing the piano.

Favorite travel destination and why?

I love road trips, so driving anywhere is fun to me.  I just love seeing different places and meeting new people!

What has been your most enlightening experience in college? What will you take away from your experience?

My most enlightening experience in college has been the study abroad trip I took to Belize.  It was there that I learned that kids are kids no matter where you go and that I forget so easily how much I have and have been blessed with.  I learned so much about what it means to be a teacher and how to teach with limited resources.  I learned a lot about building relationships with other people and how to live in another culture.  I really grew in my confidence as an aspiring teacher from this experience.

Author of the Forget Me Not Trilogy. Drinker of too much coffee. Obsessed with all things French. Owner of pink, sparkly things. In love with Jesus!