How to Negotiate a Higher Salary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

The topic of salary is uncomfortable; no one enjoys discussing how much they make. Most people have never been taught to negotiate for a higher salary, so it’s in our nature to simply accept an employer’s initial offer. It becomes especially difficult when you’re a young college graduate struggling to find a job that will pay you at all, let alone pay you well. So, in an effort to increase awareness of salary negotiation, I’ve compiled a list of (hopefully) helpful tips to talk your way into earning the big bucks. 

1. Be aware of what the position you’re applying for commonly pays. You can research what other companies in your respective field pay, and if you look at websites like https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm you can even see what your potential coworkers are making. 

2. Know what your minimum salary can be before you begin negotiating. It may seem like your dream job, but if you can’t make a living off of their proposed wage, then it’s not the job for you. The number that you come up with will serve as your baseline for all negotiations. 

3. Be prepared for whatever you are confronted with in the interview. All employers are different and while some may want to make wage a priority others may wait until you’ve made it through several rounds of interviewing before bringing it up. Don’t be afraid to inquire about an employer’s proposed salary. While I don’t necessarily think you should initiate the conversation during the first interview, I do think that it is fine to bring the topic of salary up during a face to face meeting. 

4. There’s definitely a way to go about asking for a higher salary. I wouldn’t recommend coming right out and saying something like, “yeah, I need more money than that.” I would try to use words like, “flexibility,” “negotiable” or “baseline offer.” In addition, let the employer suggest a number first. This allows you the opportunity to provide a counter offer. 

Overall, I would suggest that you make yourself a priority. Ask for what you want and don’t be afraid to negotiate for a higher salary. More often than not, employer’s are expecting you to propose a counter offer. If you are prepared and willing to fight for yourselves, then I believe all of you can earn the compensation you deserve. Good luck in the job market! 

Lindsey Poe is a Senior English Literature major, Spanish minor here at Georgia College. She loves coffee, Pinterest, peach rings, House M.D., and late night easy mac. In her free time she enjoys taking naps, reading, crafting, and stalking adoptable dogs online. You can follow her on Instagram @linzpoe.