How to Beat the Study Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

As finals approach, we all begin our long hours in the library, camping out and possibly panicking.

The question is: How do you study successfully?The answer: Don’t cram

Sometimes, tests sneak up on us at midnight in the library and we have no choice but to cram. However, try and avoid it! Study over multiple days or weeks in order for the information to really stick in your mind.

Next, try a rotation study method. For example, study for 20 minutes and take a 5 minute break. During your break, take a walk and drink some cold water in order to keep your mind awake. Continue this rotation for about an hour and a half. Then take a 30 minute break away from any technology: go outside or take a quick nap. 

Make sure that you’re comfortable when you’re studying. Those oversized sweatpants that you got as a joke last weekend? Yeah, put those on and relax. You should wear comfortable clothes, BUT make sure you’re not studying on your bed or on a couch. Study at a table where you won’t be tempted to fall asleep or lounge.

If you really don’t understand the material, ask a friend or a tutor to explain it to you. Then, explain it back to them. Talking about new material with another person will firmly plant the material in your mind and you will be able to retrieve the information later on the test.

Get ready: next week, it’s game time.Grab a buddy, a blanket, some coffee, and some sanity and I’ll see you in the library, Bobcats.