Halloween Party Basics How-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

So you’re wanting to throw a small get-together with your friends, but you’re not sure where to start? Well, here are a few tips to help you get you on your way. 

First, you’re going to want to set the mood with decorations. Decorations are the most important part. Killer Halloween decorations turns your event from “get-together” to PARTY! They can be as simple as mood lighting, flickering candles, hanging paper lanterns, to as creative as a giant spider sitting on a web in a corner of the room, witches who’s eyes flash and they cackle as people walk past them. You can dim your lamps in the room by covering them with a dark, thin cloth. But be careful not to start any fires!

The second thing you’ll need is food. Any great party has a glorious amount of food. It’s what keeps your party guests happy as they’re chatting with friends. You can make anything from “dirt” to eyeballs. To make a “dirt” treat: take a clear cup and fill it with chocolate pudding, next add crushed oreos and top with gummy worms. To make eyeballs: take two powdered donuts, put a gummy lifesavor in the hole and top with an upside down chocolate chip (or kiss) for the pupil. 

Of course, if you give a mouse a cookie, he’ll want a glass of milk, so you’ll need to provide drinks as well. You can continue with theme and have colored juices to play with the spooky theme. You can also add dry ice to your serving bucket to create the illusion of a witche’s cauldren (beware: read all safety instructions when using dry ice). You can also provide alcholic drinks like orange jello shots or mixed drinks that are lime green or orange (flavored and colored vodkas will aid in this coloration). 

If you’re having this party at your house, or somewhere where there is a T.V., you could play a scary movie. Putting on a movie such as Chucky, and then placing dolls around the room, will surely frighten your guests and give your apartment that extra-creepy factor. 

Theme music is also a good thing to add to any Halloween party. Instead of simply playing a “scary sounds” track, make your own playlist complete with spooky sounding songs that people can still dance to, but gives the background a spooky sound. (This would be a great time to bring back Micael Jackson’s Thriller song you’ve been wanting to play!)

When you’re sending out your invites, be sure to tell your guests whether or not to dress up. You can even include a costume contest, with the winning prize being a bottle of your party’s signature drink. That will be motivation enough for everyone to dress their best for your party.

I think you’re all ready now to throw your own spectacular Halloween party! Good luck!

I'm a senior here at Georgia College. My major is English, with a concentration in creative writing, and a minor in Marketing. I love to write fiction with dabbles in poetry. I'm happily taken with the love of my life and we have an adorable puppy (that's mostly his, but I like to steal him.) Working with HerCampus has allowed me to get to know some wonderful girls and I couldn't be happier with the experience.