Georgia College’s Choral Director: Dr. Jennifer Flory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Dr. Jennifer Flory is a creative and talented member of Georgia College’s staff. As the director of choral activities here on campus, she is constantly inspiring others through music. Dr. Flory is a joy to be around and her bubbly personality is infectious. She always looks for opportunities to uplift and encourage her students and she delights in their triumphs, whether it be in chorus or in their day to day lives. Dr. Flory graciously allowed me to interview her this past week about her passion for music.

Lindsey Poe:  What did you study when you were in college?

Dr. Jennifer Flory: Music Education and Vocal Performance (BME and BA dual degree)

LP: Where did you go to college? 

Dr. JF: Otterbein College, a private liberals arts college, now Otterbein University, in Westerville, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus. http://www.otterbein.edu/public/About/AboutOtterbein.aspx

LP: Did you always want to work in music?

Dr. JF: Yes, absolutely, although I did not always know that I wanted to teach music.

LP: What made you decide you wanted to teach music? 

Dr. JF: It was the summer between my junior and senior year in high school when I went to Governor’s Scholars Program in Kentucky, majoring in music during which I had a very special experience working with deaf children, and decided to be a music educator.

LP: What instruments do you play? 

Dr. JF: I am mainly a singer. I play enough piano to do warm-ups and play vocal parts when needed. I used to play guitar and French horn. I also played trombone for a year and flute for about five weeks.

LP: What made you choose to work at Georgia College?

Dr. JF: I was offered the director of choral activities position at GC&SU in 2005 when I was finishing up my doctorate. It was just the position I was looking for, running a choral program at a liberal arts college and working with future choral music educators. My aunt, uncle, and cousins lived in Macon and would be a support for my new husband and me when we moved down here. It was about 8 hours from my parents and my in-laws, far, but not too far to drive.

LP: How long have you worked here?

Dr. JF: Since August 2005, a little over 10 years.

LP: What are some of your favorite things about the campus?

Dr. JF: I love the green spaces, the antebellum architecture, and the tight-knit layout.

LP: At the moment, what is your favorite song? 

Dr. JF: This is too hard of a question for a musician. It is like asking an artist, what is their favorite artwork. I will say that I find enjoyment in many types of music in addition to classical music. My favorite non-classical artists include Tori Amos, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, Paolo Nutini, and The Civil Wars.

LP: Any upcoming events you want to promote?

Dr. JF: October 17 will be our Choral Composer Celebration Concert, at 7:30 pm, at First Baptist Church in Milledgeville. This concert will feature works by composers celebrating significant birthdays in 2015 sung by all four of the GC Choral Ensembles: University Chorus, Women’s Ensemble, The Cat’s Meow, and Max Noah Singers.

LP: Anything else you’d like to add?  

Dr. JF: The Max Noah Singers will be traveling to Hungary and Austria in May 2016 for a number of performances. If you would like more information about the trip or how you could help in this endeavor, please contact Jennifer.flory@gcsu.edu.

LP: Thank you for letting me interview you!

Dr. JF: Thank you for thinking of me.

If you enjoy singing, I encourage you to join University Chorus or Women’s Ensemble. At the least, please support your local fine arts program by attending the concert in October, as Dr. Flory mentioned above. 

Lindsey Poe is a Senior English Literature major, Spanish minor here at Georgia College. She loves coffee, Pinterest, peach rings, House M.D., and late night easy mac. In her free time she enjoys taking naps, reading, crafting, and stalking adoptable dogs online. You can follow her on Instagram @linzpoe.