Georgia College’s Candidacy for Hosting Presidential Debate 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Everyone that goes to Georgia College knows how special and unique this little town is here in Milledgeville, Georgia. Now, Georgia College will have the chance to show the rest of the country how truly great this town is. Georgia College is one of 16 schools that are currently in the running to host either a presidential or vice presidential debate for the 2016 election season.  This application process had been in the works for many months and  the applications were due March 31, 2015. The Commission on Presidential Debates was established in 1987 and since then has sponsored and produced all the presidential and vice presidential debates and they will be choosing the locations for these debates. Following the pattern of the 2012 presidential debates, the moderators, schedule, and locations were announced on October 31, 2011. Sometime around the end of October, or early November, we will know if the Commission on Presidential Debates has selected our school to host one of the debates. Typically there are three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate covering topics from domestic policies to foreign affairs. According to a source close to the school Secret Service has already visited Georgia College to analyze the school’s perimeter. The Commission on Presidential Debates released the set of guidelines and one interesting requirement is to have 3,000 hotel rooms available. If Georgia College was selected to host a debate not only would the school gain national attention but thousands of people would get a chance to see why we love this town! For a list of all potential hosts click on the link provided. http://www.debates.org/index.php?page=2016debates

My name is Nicole Gilmartin and I am a Senior Mass Communication major with a digital media minor. I have a passion for traveling and was fortunate enough to spend my spring semester of my sophomore year in Florence, Italy. I enjoy all things social media related and anything that lets my creativity show!