GC’s Hidden Talent: Emily Rautmann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Meet Emily Rautmann, Georgia College’s own knitting queen!

Her Campus: When did you first start knitting?

Emily Rautmann: My grandma taught me when I was in fourth grade and it kind of just spiraled since then. I took a break for a while until my Freshman year of college. My friends were knitting and I realized “hey, this is a connection!” Since I knew how to knit and I just kind of never stopped from that point.

HC: What are your favorite things to knit?

ER: I love hats. They’re so easy and you can really personalized it if you’re making them for a certain person! Scarves are really fun too, but it’s not just like hats and mittens and scarves! You can make decorations and blankets too!

HC: What was the most difficult thing you ever had to knit?

ER: Umm, it was difficult because it took so long, it was a blanket. It took like 2 months and I used small needles for that project too. It just took way too long since I’m such an impatient person. It’s kinda crazy to think that I love knitting so much when it’s so time consuming and I’m such an impatient person.

HC: What would you recommend for someone who wants to take up knitting, but doesn’t know where to start?

ER: YouTube is a really great place to find tutorials! I use YouTube a lot when I need to look up a quick reference for how to do a stitch or something. Also use bigger sized needles because they are easier to work with. I guess you can ask me too because I’m always happy to help anybody figure out how to knit.

HC: Would you ever think about selling your knitted works?

ER: Yeah! I have already actually started building up a supply of items so I can open up an etsy shop and sell things on there!

HC: Do you have a Pintrest knitting board?

ER: Yes, I do. I have a board called “Just Keep Knitting” and I pin a lot of things on there and a lot of projects I hope to get to eventually.

Janileyah Thompson is a junior Mass Communications major. She aspires to be either a Public Diplomacy Officer and reside in South Korea one day or become a Victoria Secret Angel, whichever comes first. She's a huge World War II buff with a passion for Korean soap operas and turtles. She is also an adamant supporter of Captain America being the best superhero ever.