Choose Health: Tobacco-Free Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

On October 1, 2014 Georgia College officially became a tobacco and smoke-free campus. While our university was already a semi-smoke free campus, it made the big change to banning all types of tobacco this month. 

The college is hosting a campaign called “Choose Health” to assist all students who are addicted to tobacco in making a big lifestyle change in order to live a better, healthier life. The “Choose Health” hosted an celebration on Front Campus on October 1st to kick off the big event. The event included health screening, fitness classses, healthy food samples, information on being tobacco-free, and Women’s Center resource information. 

Georgia College is also offering classes and services to help students take steps toward leading a tobacco-free lifestyle. Steve Dorman stated in his message to students, “Care for the well-being of all members of the Bobcat Nation is a fundamental value we hold at Georgia College. Because of the mutual concern we have for each other, it is important that we encourage and promote healthy decisions by all in our campus community.” For more information on how the college is assisting students contact 478-445-5148 or email tobaccofree@gcsu.edu.

Hi Her Campus readers! I'm a Senior Mass Communications major, Netflix fanatic and everything caramel-based lover. You can always find me hanging out with my friends, watching Grey's Anatomy, eating Barberitos or doing all three at the same time! I'm Social Media/Public Relations chair for both Her Campus and CURE GC and love to support other organizations on campus that I have a passion for. I hope one day to go on a mission trip before my "big girl life" starts and then either do Public Relations for an amazing company close to my heart, like Her Campus or CURE, or open a clothing store of my own and donate a cut of the profits to different charitites each month. However for now, I'm going to take it day-by-day and enjoy what's left of my college career! XO, Katelyn.