7 Recipes to Try This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Thanksgiving is less than a week away, and everyone is getting ready to go back to their hometowns. It’s one of my personal favorite holidays because of three things: a) mashed potatoes, b) the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and c) Black Friday. And okay, maybe Black Friday doesn’t happen on Thanksgiving, but it might as well be an official part of the holiday. On National Fatty Foods Day (my unofficial nickname for the turkey holiday), I like to spend the day cooking with my mom and drinking wine. In honor of this wonderful holiday—another thing I love about it is it’s an indicator that Christmas is just around the corner, and I like to turn on Christmas music the day after—I’ve complied a list of seven easy recipes that you can try when you go home; some of these recipes are traditional and some are not-so-traditional! Eat lots of food, take advantage of Black Friday sales, and enjoy your time at home. Finals are creeping up, and we all deserve this break.

1. Green Bean Casserole

This recipe is a homemade version of the classic recipe. Aka no use of Campbell’s Soup, but instead, you’ll get to use bacon fat. I think it’s a universal truth that you can never go wrong with bacon.

2. Hasselback Potatoes with Prosciutto and Sage

A different take on potatoes to go with your turkey and ham. These potatoes are salty and earthy—everything that fall is about.

3. Apple Crisp

This is a staple recipe for all households during this time of year, and a perfect alternative to apple pie. I like it best with vanilla ice cream on top—the combination of the warm apple crisp and cool ice cream creates the perfect amount of decadence you’d expect for dessert.

4. Pesto Roasted Carrot Fries

Here’s a delicious, simple, healthy, and non-traditional take on a classic side dish.

5. Roasted Turkey with Herb Butter and Roasted Shallots

Taken from Bon Appetit Magazine, this blog has broken down the recipe step-by-step with pictures, so if you’ve never roasted a turkey before, you’re in luck!

6. Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad

Just looking at this picture makes my mouth water. This is a simple autumn salad that would be perfect on your Thanksgiving menu.

7. Apple Pie Punch

Last but not least, here is a recipe for an alternative cocktail you can sip on while you cook, watch football, or whatever it is you typically do during Thanksgiving. It’s a recipe that can easily be turned into a kid-friendly, non-alcoholic drink too!

Have a safe and fun break, Bobcats!

Tina is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in French. She loves cats even though she is allergic to them, staying in bed all day and watching Netflix, and nail polish. She hopes that she will be a published author one day and also wants to teach college English. She is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Eta Mu chapter), and green is her favorite color. You can follow her on twitter at @teenz_ng