6 Things Theatre Majors Want You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

There are a few common misconceptions about what it is like to be a theatre major, so I decided to ask several different theatre majors what they would want people to know about our major and what we do.

Here are a few things some of the theatre majors said they would like our fellow Bobcats to know:

1. Despite the common misconception, theatre is NOT an easy major. Theatre majors absolutely love what they  do, but that doesn’t make it any easier than another major. Loving what they do simply makes it easier to work as hard as they do.

2. More goes into creating a show than just memorizing lines. Actors put so much time and energy into their characters.

3. Along those same lines, all theatre majors aren’t all actors. There are plenty of stage managers, costume designers, lighting designers, directors, sound designers and set designers among us. It takes all of these people and many more to turn a script into a wonderful show.

4. Theatre majors have a very large skill set because they are expected to know at least a little bit about every facet of our craft.

5. Theatre majors have amazing faculty members and they are all very close to them because the theatre department really is one big family. Its hard not to get close to people when you spend as much time together as they do!

6. We love it when fellow Bobcats come to our shows! But please remember not to be on your phone during the performance! It’s a distraction to the other audience members as well as the performers on stage. 

Skyler Wilkes is a junior Theatre and Creative Writing double major at GCSU! Skyler enjoys reading, traveling, red lipstick, and How I Met Your Mother. You can follow her on Instagram @skylerelizabethh