5 Ways to Prepare for an Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

It is that point in the semester that just about every professor has decided that it is time for that first exam. Everyone knows at finals we are all calculating grades to see what we need to pass. To take a little stress off final, why don’t we try to start out strong? Let’s rock those first exams. Here are some study tips to help when you are trying to study for multiple exams in the same week.

1. Remember to keep a Schedule. Always get a good amount of sleep and eat something at meal times (If you have to, set an alarm! Your body needs fuel from something other than caffeine.)

2. Study in small increments. Take 30 minutes and go over a few chapters, then do the dishes or take out the trash. That way your brain won’t be fried from 3 hours of straight studying.

3. Space out your material in the week prior to the exam. Cramming isn’t as helpful as you think. You might know the material for the exam, but you will be tired and won’t retain the information.

4. Make sure you know what to study. Nothing feels worse than taking hours and doing tons of work only to discover that it was chapter 3 not 4 that’s on the test.

5. GO TO THE SI SESSIONS! These students have taken that class and know what you are feeling, let them help you.

Exams seem overwhelming and sometimes hopeless.  You can do well, you just have to study and prepare in advance. So take a deep breath and get out your flash cards.

college Student, coffee enthusiast, mom of 3 hermit crabs