5 Classic Films to Watch this Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.
If you’re looking for something different to watch this weekend, look no further than the five movies below. Though they were all made 50+ years ago, they remain remarkably fresh and witty. They are also excellent starting points if you’re looking to expose yourself to the films of Hollywood’s Golden Age. The best news is that these are all available on Netflix!

1. All About Eve (1950)

Starring Bette Davis, this drama centers around the precarious relationship between Margo Channing, a celebrated but aging Broadway star, and Eve Harrington, a diehard fan of Margo and an up-and-coming star herself. After Margo takes Eve under her wing, she begins to fear that Eve will destroy her career and relationships. The film was nominated for 14 Oscars, a record it held until 1997. If nothing else, watch this for the sass and stardom that only Bette Davis can supply.

2. Charade (1963)

Often described as Hitchcock-esque, this romantic comedy/suspense film stars Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. Regina Lampert (Hepburn) is pursued by her husband’s former partners-in-crime who want to reclaim the money he stole from them. 

3. His Girl Friday (1940)

This is a classic example of a screwball comedy, complete with the fast-paced dialogue and banter. Cary Grant is Walter Burns, a newspaper editor, and Rosalind Russell is Hildy Johnson, his ex-wife. Hildy intends to quit the newspaper business and marry another man, but Walter is determined to thwart this plan by persuading her to cover another story. The witty one-liners keep this film fresh with each viewing. 

4. Roman Holiday (1953)

This is a classic Audrey Hepburn vehicle and was her first starring role. Hepburn is Princess Ann, who has stopped in Rome on her European tour. Determined to escape the confines of her royal life, she disguises herself and sets out to explore Rome. Along the way, she meets and falls for Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck), a reporter. 

5. Sunset Boulevard (1950)

This film noir stars William Holden and Gloria Swanson. Holden portrays Joe Gillis, a screenwriter, who encounters Norma Desmond (Swanson), a former silent film star who has slightly deluded fantasies of making a comeback to the movies. 

I'm a senior mass communication major at Georgia College & State University. I'm a Disney fan, professional coffee drinker, and pop culture enthusiast. I also love a good '90s rom-com. You can usually find me on Instagram (@tcroeck).