4 Easy Ways to Read the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

It’s important to read the news and keep up with current events. We all know this, but it can be difficult when you’re a student, and your free time is scarce. Making time to read the news can be time-consuming, not to mention a little overwhelming at times. Luckily, we now have resources that have radically changed how we can consume the news. Here are four of the best resources that make it easier (and more fun!) to read the news. 

1. theSkimm

theSkimm is an amazing resource for people who want a more condensed version of the news. It’s a daily e-newsletter that has fun headlines and witty commentary. The website contains all the past newsletters, in addition to some awesome “Skimm Guides.” These break down current events and issues into short blurbs. They even have one for the election that’s coming up, so go check it out! 

2. Feedly 

Feedly is a great way to personalize the news you read in the morning. With this website, you can follow various blogs or news publications, and stories from those sources will appear in your feed. You can also create collections to organize different sources into specific categories. It’s perfect for those who like personalization and minimalism.

3.  Need 2 Know

Self-described as “Cliff Notes” for news, Need 2 Know is pretty similar to theSkimm. It’s a free daily email service that condenses the news into understandable summaries. It covers news, sports, and entertainment.

4. The Daily Beast Newsletter

Subscribing to this e-newsletter will bring you summaries of stories from the Daily Beast. You can choose the news blasts you receive, from ones covering politics, culture, and more. 

Happy reading!

I'm a senior mass communication major at Georgia College & State University. I'm a Disney fan, professional coffee drinker, and pop culture enthusiast. I also love a good '90s rom-com. You can usually find me on Instagram (@tcroeck).