This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Music is used and listened to by many people. It fosters a creative outlet and it always connects others together when other things cannot. Often times we find ourselves listening to songs that we find out have a deeper meaning the second time we listen to them. Some of the songs the meaning is universal, others it’s up to each individuals interpretation. Here are some songs below that carry a deeper message and might be worth a second listen.  

10. Here; Mayday! and Murs

Here is a single off Mayday! and Murs collaborative album Mursday. It tackles the idea of finding where you belong and accepting and realizing where you do not. 

9. No Such Thing; John Mayer

From John Mayer’s debut album, No Such Thing speaks on the idea that the real world is always here, and it’s not something that you wait for when you get older. 

8. Waterfalls; TLC

From TLC’s sophomore album, waterfalls reminds us to stay in our own line or else we risk the chance of getting hurt. 

7. You Don’t Own Me; Grace ft. G-Eazy

A cover most popularly heard in the movie Suicide Squad, You Don’t Own Me fosters female empowerment and independence. 

6. This is Me; The Greatest Showman Cast

One of the more popular and well known songs from the movie, This is Me tackles the belief that you are who you are and should be proud of yourself, regardless of what others think or say. 

5. Broad Shoulders; Taylor Bennett ft. Chance the Rapper

A lesser known song from a wonderful artist, Taylor Bennett’s song Broad Shoulders speaks about getting older and taking in the weight of the world while remebering what you were taught when you were a child and throughout life.

4. All We Got; Chance the Rapper ft. Kanye West

From Chances breakout album, Coloring Book, All We Got speaks on loving what you have and appreciating life for what it is. 

3. Remembering Sunday; All Time Low

This song can be open and has been open to many interpretations. From their Album So Wrong, It’s Right, Remembering Sunday can be interpreted as remembering someone who you have lost or want to be with again for more than one night. 

2. Is Anybody Out There; K’Naan ft. Nelly Furtado

From his album, Country, God, or The Girl, Is anybody out there tackles the idea of being alone and the longing to belong. 

1. 1-800-273-8255; Logic feat. Aliessia Cara, Khalid

This song has gained popularity during the last year. The song describes the moment of someone calling into the national suicide hotline and expressing why they want to kill themselves. It then changes to the person on the hotline who is trying to help the caller about why they shouldn’t’t kill themselves and how they should think about all good things they have to live for. The song then ends with the caller changing their mind about killing themselves.

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.