Life > Experiences

Zoda Carey: A Powerful Expressionist With Poetic Lyricism

Crafted and bronzed to a golden hue of perfection and then sun-kissed for good measure, Zoda Carey was delivered to two Jamaican parents, Zolia and David Carey.  On Dec. 5, 1996, in Broward County, Florida, a particular product of pure elegance and “black girl magic was born.”

A notable Florida State University scholar, she knows all too well the Caribbean home setting that can unite, in a mixed crowd, anyone of Caribbean decent at just the mention of something like the huge china armoire cabinet that takes up a disproportionately large part of the living room space. The one you likely– if you had the misfortune of a Caribbean-style upbringing—had to wake up and clean every Saturday morning (along with any other busy work that your mother appointed you to do.)  These things, along with a list of other factors, says Carey, has molded her determination, drive and courage that she applies to everything she does in contribution to Poetic Lyricism (PL), a premier spoken word organization on FSU campus, established in 2005 and her internship with College Fashionista.

Carey, a public relations major, appears to be your average FSU senior, just clutching on to the last bit of courage she has left, to refrain from the constant temptation of going into complete alumni mode (especially with the looming threat of a Spring break interlude well underway). She appears to be your average college student (though nothing is ‘average’ about her) before holding a substantial conversation with her to discover that she actually doubles as super-woman. She juggles an internship with college fashionista as a ‘Style-Guru,’ a position as Vice-President of PL on campus, an outstanding status as a student and a social life.

Most notably, Carey’s contribution to PL has assisted in uplifting the organization and progressively broadening its audience and influence. A meek Carey humbly utters, “I don’t know, I’m not really that interesting.” But her determination and accomplishments mark permanently her impactful presence at this institution and they testify more loudly than herself. They trumpet how she, along with her supportive collaborates, work hard each semester to live up to the legacy of PL, especially when it comes to the presentation and final product of the shows that they organize monthly.

Carey works for the compensation of the mere satisfaction in participating in something of such positive influence. When asked what drives her commitment to Poetic Lyricism, she replied “I am pleasingly humbled to make up a critical part of something that encourages young people to express themselves through spoken word—just poetry in general—it is one of the greatest things to witness because poetry has been a part of me for a very long time. I like to offer that to others.” She says one of the greatest things about PL that makes it all worthwhile, is as simple as “We love PL, poetry, our community and most importantly, each other. The most incredible thing is our teamwork.”

Carey started out on her journey with PL as a ‘poetry chair’, running workshops and holding one-on-one activities that steadily advanced poets’ writing and performance skills. She was responsible for the appropriate preparation of quality performances and she worked just as hard to deliver performances of her own authentic work(s) that met and exceeded the standard of the growing spoken word community state-wide. The aspiring spring graduate quotes, “We try to incorporate artists of all kinds to take part and share their self-expression.”

Courtesy: Instagram @poeticlyricism_fsu

She encourages everyone to come out and bring friends to assist—better yet, take part —in an upcoming show at the end of this month, March 30. Themed “Woman Thou Art,” this show is dedicated to the appreciation of women everywhere in commemoration of Women’s’ History month!

Courtesy: Zoda Carey

Zoda Carey is a culmination of her Caribbean heritage that engrained discipline, prestige, confidence and much more within her, as well as her supportive parade of family and friends that love her and all life experience to-date. All these work collaboratively and well-equipped her for her considerably influential journey at FSU that is coming to the beginning of an end, come spring graduation in May!

Her Campus at Florida State University.